The Scoop On EAC CLasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Winter is finally going into hibernation and we (hopefully) only have good weather to look forward to. Warm weather means adorable dresses, tanks and eventually those itsy bitsy, polka dot bikinis.

Looking to get in gear, and turn some heads this season? Evanston Athletic Club offers fun, group exercise classes. Round up some friends, get a membership, and you’re ready to power-step, spin or dance your way to one sexy, healthy body.

Alan Dubois, the EAC fitness director, said the most popular class by far is Zumba. “Zumba is a latin-based, aerobic conditioning class that uses steps from the salsa and cha-cha in the routines,” Dubois said.

Northwestern student and EAC member Carla Berkowitz said Zumba is her favorite class. “The music is great, the instructors are fun and you feel good about yourself while you’re getting into shape,” Berkowitz said.

Dubois also said that spinning is a popular choice, although he said it is very dependent on the instructor because they each play different music styles during class.

Lauren Strauss, a Northwestern sophomore, said spinning was the best class and that all the instructors were great.  “It’s a class where you choose your own level of intensity but are encouraged to challenge yourself so it’s always a great workout,” Strauss added.

Other notable classes are power-step- which Lauren Guiteras, an RTVF major said makes you feel really energized afterwards, and cardio conditioning which Dubois described as similar to a high school gym class with participants doing stairs and laps on a track.

To check out the other classes offered and look at EAC’s group exercise schedule visit the EAC website at: http://chicagoathleticclubs.com/eac/group-exercise

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.
Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo