This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s time to say sayonara to the Seeley G. Mudd Library, at least for the next 18 months. News of Northwestern University’s renovation plans for Mudd Library quickly spread throughout the student body. While some were unaffected by the news, many — including engineers and north campus residents — were left distraught.

Nick Serratelli ’18, north campus resident and frequent Mudd-goer, summarazied the opinions of many. “Mudd closing is not only an inconvenience, but also the end of an era for many,” he said. “Everyone who knows what it’s like to be here until closing and the classic flickering of the lights, the feeling of being the only one in the entire building (or at least the third floor), and even the worst feeling of going to your perfect spot only to find that someone else is working there, knows how sad this is. It is crazy how many people loved a library, but it’s so simple that it’s the best. Mudd will always have a place in me and I really don’t know where I’ll work without it until senior year.”

Serratelli succinctly outlines many problems that Mudd’s closing will bring. Firstly, it will be inconvenient for people who live north campus, forcing them to travel south to either University Library or Deering Library. Also, because of Mudd’s attachment to Tech, many engineers who study in Mudd before and after classes will be severely impacted. My big question is, where will everyone go? Will people be more inclined to study in their rooms? During finals week, my observations have been that nearly every library is filled. In fact, I did multiple laps around the library this past finals week, searching for an empty seat without success. With misplaced Mudd-goers, the libraries will be even more crowded and even more uninviting.

Demolishing Mudd demolishes many memories too. It is safe to say that individuals grow attached to spaces that they devote a lot of time too and a library is no exception. Many students are hopeful that Mudd’s renovation will go smoothly and quickly so that future Wildcats can start to make Mudd memories of their own.

Michelle is freshman in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, and IMC at Northwestern University. Michelle is originally from Menlo Park, CA--about forty minutes away from San Francisco and forty seconds away from Facebook HQ. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found dancing. In fact, she's always dancing.