Runway to Closet: How to Wear This Fall’s Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
Fashion lovers know it can be hard to rock the strange and fascinating looks from the runway. But all collegiettes can take these looks into their everyday wardrobe with just a few tweaks. Whether the look was featured in Prada, Valentino, Miu Miu or Balmain, we’ve styled it it so you can be runway-chic in your everyday life. 

Trend #1: Geometric

Dior

Bold colors and graphic shapes dominated the runway this fall, and although they make a statement, they’re easy to tone down and pull into your closet! Try a geometric necklace or a colorblock sweater to get the same effect.

Trend #2: Fringe

Emilio Pucci

Fringe creates awesome movement that spices up any outfit. To bring it to class, try smaller touches on your bag or booties.

Trend#3: Menswear

Marc Jacobs

Menswear has been in for a while, and it’s here to stay with the oversized coat. Love wearing your boyfriend’s jacket? Splurge on an overcoat that will be sure to keep you warm and stylish in the winter months. If you want to join in the menswear trend, but also want to avoid shapes that overwhelm your body, get some nice oxford shoes.

Trend #4: Leather

Valentino

Leather feels so empowering to wear – and it appeared in tons of designer’s collections. Although real leather is expensive, the leather jacket is a versatile and worthwhile investment. Step it up a notch and splurge with a fitted leather dress.

Trend #5: Military

Valentino

Thigh-skimming military jackets and striped leather knee-high boots may fly on the runway, but for day-to-day wear pair it with some dark wash jeans and ankle booties. Not into jackets? Rock a fashion-forward with a cool military jumpsuit.