This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In the midst a spring sorority philanthropy hangover, it’s easy to fill your social calendar while simultaneously checking the “be charitable” item off of your list of New Year’s resolutions. But if mud/Jello/nachos/ice cream, just to name a few, aren’t for you, the greater Northwestern community has students stepping out of the sorority quads and into SPAC – for 12 hours.

On May 13, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., Northwestern student groups, organizations and friends alike will be doing their part to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Relay for Life, requires that each team has at least one member walking on the indoor track for all 12 hours. The event will also include, food, games, performances by student groups, and in case participants start to forget why they’re losing precious hours of sleep during midterms, a luminaria walk and survivors lap.

“This event is a great way to support the American Cancer Society as a campus and not just as one organization,” said Melissa Miller, a junior who has been participating in Relay for Life since her freshman year. “The spirit of the event comes through in the events that take place throughout the night, such as the luminaria walk and the survivor lap.”

Northwestern’s Relay for Life raised $120,000 for the American Cancer Society last year, and according to Miller they are on track for meeting this year’s goal of $150,000.

“We have raised about $67,000 already and that amount usually doubles the night of the event when people bring in cash and checks from fundraising efforts,” said Miller, also a member of the Team Mentorship Committee this year.   

For students not already on a team, Relay for Life offers plenty of ways to get involved.

“It is $10 dollars to visit for any amount of time so you can catch a glimpse of what makes the event so great,” said Miller. “Cancer affects almost everyone in one way or another and this event allows us to appreciate the struggle that people have gone through and the loss that others have experienced.”

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.