This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Although Chicago has seen its fair share of snow already this year, I haven’t had to chance to enjoy it, since I’m studying remotely from my home in New Jersey this quarter. However, I had my first real snow day of the season yesterday. After months of not leaving the house, it may feel like snow days don’t bring the same excitement as they used to. However, after waking up to the news that my workday had been canceled due to the snow, I felt the same flurry as I always had. That being said, I wanted to make the most of my snow day! Here are some ideas I had to pass the time:

1. Sleep in

I usually have to wake up at 6:00 am for work every morning. Mondays are hard enough already, so after realizing I had the day off, I was more than happy to turn my alarm off and fall back asleep. Getting enough sleep is beneficial for your health and important for students in order to stay focused in class. So catch up on those extra hours, you deserve it!

2. Bake

baking ingredients
Photo by Calum Lewis from Unsplash

Baking is the best way to warm yourself up on a cold, snowy day. I finally decided to hop on the banana bread trend everybody was raving about during the early quarantine months. I added some chocolate chips and made it extra crispy and it was to die for. My usual favorite food to bake is chocolate chip cookies. It doesn’t take a baker to buy some Toll House slice and bake cookie dough and put it in the oven. Pair that with a hot chocolate or a glass of milk and you’re set. 

3. Start reading that book

person reading poetry books next to tea and flowers
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash
Remember that book you ordered a few months ago that you told yourself you were gonna start right away? Yeah, me too. Start it today! You have the time and you’ll be happy you did. It’s good to get your eyes off of a screen for a few hours and take your mind off all your other responsibilities. 

4. Watch a movie

netflix streaming on laptop
Photo by Charles Deluvio from Unsplash

A movie, a new TV show, some YouTube videos… whatever you’re in to. I caught up on some Law & Order SVU which I’ve been binging recently. In addition, Netflix just added new movies this month that are worth looking at. I’ve been looking forward to rewatching Eat, Pray, Love, but if you’re looking for something a little more thrilling, Inception was just added as well. So, grab the remote and curl up on the couch with your favorite fuzzy blanket!

5. Go outside!

Have fun! Go sledding with friends, build a snowman with your roommate or just go for a walk and enjoy all the beauty around you. There’s a certain feeling of freshness and possibility that comes with seeing a fresh blanket of snow on the ground, especially on a campus as stunning as Northwestern’s. So, go outside and enjoy all the snow has to offer (and remember to take lots of pictures!).

Molly McGuinness

Northwestern '23

Molly is a transfer student at Northwestern University from Tenafly, New Jersey majoring in Social Policy. Molly enjoys spending time with friends, trying out new restaurants and traveling around the world.