Pampering Yourself on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

According to this article, 15 percent of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.

While some might choose to see this as sad or pathetic, or blame the commercialist society we live in for making women feel obligated to spend money on flowers to feel good about themselves on a holiday created by Hallmark….I actually think it’s kind of awesome.

Why not send yourself flowers on Valentine’s Day?

To give a little background on my feelings about the 14th of February, I’m not going to say I hate the day.  After all, what kid doesn’t love getting to pick out those cool boxed Valentine’s cards at the drug store with adorable puppies and kittens on them to put in your classmate’s mailboxes? Now that I’ve gotten older, I can still appreciate the holiday as a way to show your love and appreciation to the people you care about, whether a significant other or friends.  And most importantly, it has provided me with an excuse to stuff my face with chocolate and go see the latest Nicholas Sparks movie without an ounce of shame.

However, I’ve realized there is something to be said for showing love for yourself too.  Whatever your relationship status, at the end of the day, you’re always going to be in a relationship with yourself (I can thank my wonderful roommate for those words of inspiration). So instead of being bitter and hating on the world because you’re single, why not embrace it and show some self love?  It’s easy to get caught up doing so much for others, but Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to pamper you for a change.

Whether it’s finally buying that top you’ve been eyeing at Urban, picking up a new Essie shade at CVS you really don’t need, or making time to go for a run (if you’re into that sort of thing), doing something small for yourself instead of waiting around on others can have amazing impacts on your happiness.  Especially on a day that often comes with a lot of pressure and disappointment.

So yes, I have in fact already booked my manicure and cut and blowout appointments at Asha Salon and yes, I will be stopping at Andy’s on the way home and choosing every topping my heart desires (cause normally I’m super conservative and limit myself to just cookie dough and brownies…). 

And who knows I might go balls to the wall and even send myself flowers too.

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.