alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Oscar Nominee Spotlight: Emma Stone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In the last few years, Emma Stone has transformed from a comedic standout to a versatile star recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. While Stone was mainly cast in comedies early on in her career, she has proven that she should not be typecast and that she is capable of captivating an audience whether she is playing a troubled daughter or a struggling actress. Let’s take a look at some of the roles that helped Stone prepare for her breakout moments in La La Land.

1. Superbad

Although Stone’s character is mostly just a love interest for Jonah Hill’s character, this was the start of Stone excelling as a funny character and grabbing attention in any scene she is in.

2. Zombieland 

Yes, Stone and Jesse Eisenberg are attracted to each other in this movie. But, it does not take away from Stone playing a tough and fearless renegade instead of the typical damsel in need of saving.

3. Easy A

This was the film that really made people pay attention to Stone and recognize that she could attract moviegoers to theatres all on her own. Stone actually landed this role after auditioning via computer and we are so thankful she did because no one could have played Olive, the sassy, inspiring feminist, like Stone.

4. Crazy Stupid Love

Continuing her pattern of playing strong female characters, Stone starred opposite Ryan Gosling in this movie as a woman who finally realizes she shouldn’t settle for any man or anything else. Since there are so many A-list actors in this film, Stone does not get as much screen time but that did not prevent her from giving another relatable performance.

5. The Help

The same year Crazy Stupid Love was released, Stone also starred in another critically acclaimed movie called The Help. This movie ushered in the wave of Stone tackling more serious roles and proving she could venture outside of comedic dramas.

6. Birdman

Sam, a recovering drug addict, was the character that finally made Stone achieve Oscar nominee status. She was nominated for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role” and the film won “Best Motion Picture of the Year.” Even though she didn’t take home the trophy, Stone was starting to be compared to other gifted  actresses like Jennifer Lawrence and Brie Larson.

7. La La Land

Finally, Stone succeeded in being nominated for “Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. All it took was a third film with Ryan Gosling, noted director Damien Chazelle, and Stone having to sing and dance in continuous shots against the beautiful backdrop of Los Angeles. Like Stone said when accepting a Golden Globe for this role, movie musicals with original scripts have not been appreciated in recent years. Luckily, Stone played a crucial role in reviving the genre and solidifying her place as Hollywood’s newest “It Girl.”

Image source: mctdirect.com

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.