This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Two years after the release of his debut album, former member of superstar boy band One Direction, Harry Styles, is back with new music. Hailed by fans as a “bisexual anthem,” the single “Lights Up” shows a more mature side of Styles and further departs from his bubblegum pop roots.

After listening to “Lights Up” and watching the provocative new music video, I decided to do a deep dive into what all the 1D members are up to now. Three years after going on hiatus, the former heartthrobs are all grown up and are no longer the clean-cut teenagers they used to be.

Harry Styles

After One Direction went on hiatus in January 2016, Styles signed to Columbia Records as a solo artist in May the same year. In addition to “Lights Up,” he has released a self-titled debut album, critically acclaimed for its introspective lyrics and soft-rock vibes. He has also pursued acting, and he made his first film appearance in the Oscar-nominated film Dunkirk.

Niall Horan

Since signing a record deal as a solo artist with Capitol Records in September 2016, Horan released his first solo album Flicker, which features the chart-topping singles “This Town” and “Slow Hands.” He has incorporated folk, soft rock and country into his music, while staying true to his pop roots. Horan has also engaged in philanthropic efforts, such as UNICEF’s Soccer Aid World XI team. He is currently working on his next album, featuring the single “Nice to Meet Ya,” which he released on Oct. 4. 

Zayn Malik

Malik broke fans’ hearts around the world when he departed from One Direction in March 2015. The first member to embark on a solo career, Malik released the sultry tune “Pillowtalk” in January 2016. In addition to releasing two R&B-influenced solo albums, he was involved in a very public breakup with model Gigi Hadid. Most recently, Malik covered “A Whole New World” for the “Aladdin” soundtrack.

Liam Payne

While Payne has yet to release a solo album, he has collaborated with other esteemed artists, such as Zedd, J Balvin and A Boogie Wit A Hoodie. His first solo single “Strip That Down,” featuring Quavo, dominated the charts and reached the number 10 spot on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. In March 2017, Payne became a father to his first child, Bear Gray Payne. Payne has also ventured into modeling, and he was featured in a campaign for Hugo Boss.

Louis Tomlinson

Like Payne, Tomlinson has yet to release an album since signing a solo record deal. Tomlinson’s first five singles have featured a diverse mix of genres, ranging from EDM to soft-rock. He collaborated with Steve Aoki on his first single, “Just Hold On,” which was dedicated to his late mother. In addition to his musical pursuits, Tomlinson became a father to his first son, Freddie Reign Tomlinson, in January 2016. 

Jessie Chaiet

Northwestern '23

Jessie Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, studying Journalism and Economics at Northwestern University. In her free time, she loves to go to the gym, keep up with the latest pop culture news and curate Spotify playlists.