The Northwestern Dictionary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Many freshmen arrive in Evanston and are instantly bombarded with Northwestern- specific terms they just don’t understand. While important, these Wildcat-isms can be hard to decipher.

So here’s a handy dandy dictionary to help improve your NU vocabulary. You’ll be giving campus tours in no time.

Photo Credit: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151295838343343&set=a.101507377…

The Rock: One of Northwestern’s favorite traditions, the Rock is situated in the heart of our campus right through the Arch (I’m hoping everybody knows what the Arch is because you’re forced to ceremoniously walk through it). The Rock’s fame comes from the fact that students paint it to advertise events, charities, or anything they want. However, you must guard the Rock all night so no one paints over your masterpiece.

Used in a sentence: “Dude, I think I have frostbite! I spent all night sleeping in an unstable tent and guarding the Rock.”

Norbucks: The hub of social activity that is the Starbucks in Norris. You will see everyone you’ve ever met there. The line is so long you’d think they were handing out tickets to Bruce Springsteen.

Used in a sentence:
Girl 1: “I got a free drink from Norbucks because the barista thinks I’m cute. “
Girl 2: “You got a free drink because the line was so long they forgot to take your money.”

Photo Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kresge_Centennial_Hall_Northwestern.jpg

Kresge: The building that hosts most language classrooms and offices at NU. It’s located right next to University Hall. It is also the only Northwestern building to have an entirely separate ecosystem. It can be the dead of winter and Evanston will be -10 degrees, and Kresge will be an inferno. This ensures that you will be dripping sweat on to your Spanish quiz all year round.

Used in a sentence:
Girl 1: “Why are you putting on so many layers?”
Girl 2: “I have to wear a tank top under my North Face, I have back-to-back classes in Kresge.”

Bobb: Also known as the dorm Bobb–McCulloch. By far one of the worst dorms on campus in terms of amenities and décor, but a great place for freshman who want to have a busy social schedule. Situated in the middle of the frat quad, and so close to Lisa’s you can go in your pajamas.

Used in a sentence:
“I know my Bobb hallway smells like burnt popcorn and eggs, but at least people want to go out.”

Sarg: An abbreviation of Sargent, a north campus dorm with a dining hall. This dining hall also services the residents of Bobb-McCulloch. While fabulous, Sarg is often criticized for lacking the 5-star hotel atmosphere of Elder and Allison.

Used in a sentence: “I’m really regretting the four Nutella bagels I made at Sarg this morning.”

The Keg/TKOE: The most beloved of all Northwestern bars. The Keg of Evanston is a true Northwestern experience. Infamous for sloppy dance floor make-outs, stale popcorn, and killer Taylor Swift remixes. Also, many freshmen do not realize the Keg also serves real food. The mozzarella sticks get rave reviews.

Used in a sentence: “I really should not have been dancing with him, but it’s the Keg dance floor so there are no rules.”

The Deuce: The Mark II Lounge, another favorite Northwestern bar. It’s a pretty serious cab ride away, but when you get there you are welcomed by free slices of bowling alley- quality pizza. The Deuce does not have the same dance floor atmosphere as the Keg. It is more of a place to have hilarious conversations and sing karaoke. However, after the Keg closed for a bit, the Deuce’s backroom gained an awesome DJ and a wilder atmosphere.

Used in a sentence: “I’m pretty sure I ate an entire Deuce pizza last night, and then talked to the bouncer for 45 minutes.”

Photo Credit: http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2009/10/prezspeech.html

Morty: Dr. Morty Schapiro, our fine university’s awesome president.

Used in a sentence: “Morty is such a chiller, he totally nailed that speech.”

SPAC: Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center, and the best gym on campus. However, if you like to work out in privacy, SPAC is not for you. You will have to stop your elliptical every 6 minutes to say hi to someone you know.

Used in a sentence: “I tried to go to SPAC, but I had to avoid both my ex-boyfriend and my chem T.A.”

Photo Credit: http://www.fitrec.northwestern.edu/facilities/blomquist/index.html

Blom: A gray pit of despair and human suffering. Also known as Blomquist, the only gym close to South campus. It’s cramped space and sweaty atmosphere make Northwestern collegiettes™ long for the windows and light of SPAC.

Used in a sentence: “If SPAC wasn’t so far away, I’d never go to Blom again.”

Crush Party: A staple of the Northwestern sorority social scene. Different from a formal or a date party, because the people invited, or “crushed”, don’t know which girl invited them. They usually have crazy/ fun themes that require costumes.

Used in a sentence: “Does anyone have cat ears and a cowboy hat? I have like three crush parties to go to this month.”

Freshman Freeze/ Thaw: Freeze is the two week period at the start of school where freshman are not allowed inside fraternities. Thaw is when that policy ends.

Used in a sentence: “ I can’t wait for the end of Freshman Freeze, I’m so sick of walking all over Evanston in wedges.”

Photo Credit: http://www.ybp.com/GobiProfile_files/northwestern.htm

Ref: A very social part of main library. A good place to go study if you want to read Russian Lit, but also want to sit on Facebook and show your friends your cute scarf.

Used in a sentence: “I would go sit in ref, but I actually need to get work done.”

Norshore: The cab company of choice for the Northwestern community. It is a Northwestern rite of passage to both call Norshore and have your cab stolen, and to steal someone else’s cab you didn’t call.

Used in a sentence: “I would call Norshore, but we can just stand on Sheridan and take someone else’s.”

Cover Photo Credit: http://www.glassdoor.com/Job/Northwestern-University-Jobs-E3919.htm

Emma Tyler

Northwestern