This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

2023 has officially begun, and this year’s good vibes are off the charts. The fresh start to the new year provides a much-needed reminder to take care of ourselves, inspiring us to do a bit of soul-searching and self-reflection to make sure we look and feel good.

One of the best ways to boost your New Year’s confidence is to wear clothing that you love! While we’re trying to limit over-consumption this year, it’s always great to invest in a few staple pieces. I thought I’d share my personal favorite winter closet essentials — that will ensure you start 2023 looking and feeling fabulous! 

1. Flare Yoga Pants

A great staple for every college girl is a good pair of flare pants. They’re comfy and cute — perfect for sunrise yoga classes or power walks across campus when it’s just feeling freezing. I was late to the game with this one, but I finally purchased a pair, and I’m never turning back. With scores of options for every budget, I’d say that a quality pair of flare yoga pants is a solid investment to start your new year out right. 

2. Turtlenecks

Turtlenecks are a great way to repurpose your summer shirts for the colder months. Not only will they keep you super warm, but they also allow you to make new outfits with pieces already hiding in your closet! Whether you stick with a neutral color or opt for a bolder choice, grabbing a turtleneck or two is sure to spice up your winter wardrobe. 

3. Knit Cardigans (Taylor Swift or Otherwise) 

Another great layering piece, cardigans are the cherry on top of an adorable winter look. Not only are they super warm and snuggly, they also come in tons of different flavors for every style! Whether you prefer bright colors or muted chunky knits, the cardigan of your dreams is out there just waiting to be thrifted.

4. Square Neck Bodysuits

I cannot offer higher praise for my favorite piece in my winter wardrobe. Sporting a long sleeve bodysuit is a classic way to dress up any outfit. Adding the square neck to such a timeless staple immediately makes your look more elegant. Perfect for a night on the town or a full day of classes, run (don’t walk) to snag this basic.

5. Knit Scarves

This winter you NEED a long knit scarf. They’re a functional and fashionable way to elevate your outerwear for the chilly months ahead. Whether you opt for a patchwork pattern or a solid shade, you won’t regret adding this accessory to your winter capsule closet. 

6. Hats, Hats, and More Hats!

Whether you prefer fluffy bucket hats or basic Pom Pom beanies, having a trusty hat or two is essential to successfully staying strong until spring quarter. Find the style that’s right for you to make future winters even warmer! To throw in a bonus item: earmuffs are another adorable way to obtain a similar sense of warm in the great outdoors — with a slightly different look :)

Kayln Jackson

Northwestern '26

Kayln is a sophomore at Northwestern studying political science on the pre-law track. She enjoys writing about fashion and the entertainment industry. When she’s not writing for HC, you can probably find her playing her ukulele, planning her dream vacation, or spending way too much time on Pinterest.