This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The strategy companies are using to sell products to women is changing. An exciting new trend has emerged from this evolving market: custom beauty. This new business model allows companies to design products for each individual consumer.  Companies and start ups are recognizing that each person has a personalized beauty regimen that requires specially made shampoo, foundations and even lipsticks. 

I was lucky enough to get to try one of these new custom beauty trends. Function of Beauty allows customers to design their shampoo and conditioner by specifying their scalp and hair goals. The company’s motto, “Celebrate Individuality”, is becoming the norm for multiple companies such as Aerie which features body positive campaigns.

Function of Beauty’s business model is simple: take a quick 5 minute quiz about your hair, receive your shampoo and conditioner after a couple weeks and finally read the instructions about how to properly use your new products. When I first saw my box in the mail, I was super excited. For starters, the box is beautiful! It had my name on it and everything. This was the first hint to me that this company, which promises to celebrate of individuality, was keeping its word.

The most interesting part for me was being able to choose the color and scent of my shampoo and conditioner. Something I always wished I could do with traditional shampoos and conditioners was now possible! Plus, my name was printed on the bottle, which really shows how much care Function of Beauty takes with each individual formulation.

As far as how well it worked? I can’t stress enough how happy I am! I have never had amazing hair. But, as soon as I started using my new products, my hair was softer, shinier and less damaged than I had ever seen it. For the first time, I wasn’t asked if I was on the swim team while at the hair salon! Now, I feel more confident about my hair, which is something I had never experienced before. 

Does this mean I will try more custom beauty trends? Absolutely. I have my eye on Bite Beauty Lip Lab, customizable lip stick, and Skin Inc’s My Daily Dose, a mix of specialized facial serums. But, will the custom beauty trend stick around? If consumers continue to appreciate the care that goes into their experience, then absolutely!