This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As a seasoned concert-goer and music festival attendee, I was expecting to be a pro at the concert scene when I arrived at A&O Blowout. Little did I know, I would be caught in numerous mosh pits, and I would struggle to maintain my balance. Despite the insane crowd, Blowout was a lively experience that got me even more excited about Northwestern’s music scene.

With SOPHIE as the opener and Jaden Smith as the headliner, I was eager to be exposed to new music, as I was unfamiliar with both of their work. SOPHIE’s lo-fi EDM tunes got the audience hyped up for Smith. Smith played a high-energy set featuring audience favorites like “Icon” and “Summertime in Paris.”

I definitely recommend attending A&O Blowout and other concerts at Northwestern (especially when the tickets are free!). Having survived A&O Blowout as an anxious freshman, here is my advice for future concert-goers:

1) Get to the venue early to reserve your personal space in the crowd.

My friends and I arrived at the concert with ample time to find a good spot. The crowd was pretty small by the time we got there, so we were able to get situated before the Welsh-Ryan Arena filled up. I recommend doing this for future concerts, and it will also give you time to meet people near you in the crowd before the show begins.

2) Listen to the artist’s music before getting there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance both artists put on, and I plan on listening to more of their music in the future. However, I wish I would have been more familiar with their music so that I could have sang along. If you have time, I suggest getting to know the artists’ most popular songs before getting to the show.

3) Dress light.

It gets very sweaty and hot in the crowd, so it is best to wear tank tops and t-shirts. If it’s cold outside, you can bring a jacket and tie it around your waist when you get to the venue.

4) Stand in the back of the crowd if you get overwhelmed and/or are claustrophobic.

It’s okay to leave the crowd and stand in the back if you would like more personal space. You can hear the music from anywhere in the arena, so it doesn’t matter where you stand. Pick a place in the crowd that’s comfortable for you.

5) Pick a meeting place after the concert to find your friends.

The crowd can get crazy at times, so make a plan to find your friends in case you get separated. Leave a couple minutes early or pick a meeting spot to easily find your friends before getting on the bus back to campus.

6) And most importantly, have fun!

Concerts are a great way to meet fellow students who appreciate music, especially if you are a freshman trying to meet new people. In addition to listening to amazing music, I loved talking to people around me in the crowd and forming new connections.

Jessie Chaiet

Northwestern '23

Jessie Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, studying Journalism and Economics at Northwestern University. In her free time, she loves to go to the gym, keep up with the latest pop culture news and curate Spotify playlists.