This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Fox’s new reality TV show, The Masked Singer, is chaotic to say the least. Here are some things you can expect on first viewing: a singing poodle, a dancing monster, and a panel of shocked celebrity judges.

Let me clarify the exact premise of the show: The Masked Singer is a singing competition in which celebrities are disguised in masked costumes, dressing as different characters such as aliens, lions and even pineapples! Each week, these masked performers compete against each other to avoid being sent home and having to reveal their identity. Meanwhile, a panel of celebrity judges, including Robin Thicke, Jenny McCarthy, Ken Jeong, and Nicole Scherzinger, try to guess their identity while critiquing their musical talent. Clues are given before each celebrity performs.It is part guessing game, part singing competition show, and a whole lot of fun! The show is utterly ridiculous, but because it capitalizes on its absurdity, it is an ultimate success (it has already been picked up for a second season). One episode in, and trust me you will be hooked — I already spend too much time on Reddit threads trying to figure out each singer’s identity. Some famous names that have already been revealed include former NFL player Terry Bradshaw and comedian Margaret Cho, and I am convinced some A-list names are yet to come!

So if you are feeling bored on a Wednesday night or want to procrastinate studying for midterms, give The Masked Singer a chance. It is the colorful, absurd kind of fun needed in this brutal Chicago winter.

GIF courtesy of giphy.com

Emily Chaiet

Northwestern '20

Emily Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida studying journalism at Northwestern University. She is also pursuing a minor in sociology and a certificate in integrated marketing communications. In her free time she likes to rewatch the Office on Netflix and go to CycleBar.