This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s almost Black Friday, which means that the time to supplement your wardrobe with door-busting deals is upon us. Whether you’re the type to stay up all night scavenging the mall for sales, or you’re more like me, and prefer to do your Black Friday shopping from the comfort of your bed and laptop, you’re going to need some idea of what items to look for in order to make sense of the madness. Here is my shopping list for this upcoming capitalist extravaganza; hopefully it’ll give you a little inspiration for how to use your Black Friday budget.  

Chunky Belts

Photo Courtesy of Urban Outfitters

Flashback to this time last year, I used to hate belts. I thought they were unnecessary and uncomfortable, until the day I bought my first “chunky” belt, inspired by all of the Instagram models I follow wearing jeans (or denim shorts) with a tight-fitting bodysuit and a statement belt. I loved the look, and I wanted to replicate it. And once I did, I realized belts are so versatile and truly help to jazz up an outfit (and also help to give more shape to your body in the right places). Now I’m on the hunt for an embellished belt, preferably something like this one for Urban Outfitters, but at a reasonable price.  

Oversized Sweaters

Photo Courtesy of Forever 21

I adore oversized items, especially during the fall. I love balancing tight-fitting tops or skirts with something large enough to wrap around by whole body; I live for the contrast and the comfort. Black Friday is a great time to look for oversized sweaters because you don’t have to stress about finding the perfect fit for an item – if the item is only available in two sizes above your normal, you can go for it, because that’s the style you’re looking for.

Thick Scarves

Photo Courtesy of Forever 21

Scarves are always on my Black Friday shopping list. They are a winter necessity, but since I already have several, I feel guilty paying full price. That makes this day of discounts the perfect time for me to “splurge” on a few trendy scarves for the season. In fact, my favorite Black Friday purchase ever was a scarf from Forever 21 that Artie wore on “Glee.”

Fuzzy Coats

Photo Courtesy of Urban Outfitters

I’ve been eyeing this jacket from Urban Outfitters since last year, and I still can’t get it out of my head. But $89? No amount of stress can justify a retail therapy purchase that excessive. So I’ve resigned myself to either hoping for an Urban Outfitters discount on Black Friday, or for finding a replica at a more affordable store.

Any Leftover Summer Items

Photo Courtesy of Forever 21

While many winter items are on sale during Black Friday, oftentimes stores (like Forever 21) do a massive discount on pieces already in their sale section. This means that since the weather has changed, summer clothing (like shorts, tank tops, etc.) are going to be so inexpensive you won’t believe your eyes. This is the best time to stock up for spring and summer, but also to collect pieces that you can layer with during the chillier season. I know I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for my some bodysuits because I can never have too many.

Mom Jeans

Photo Courtesy of Asos

Mom jeans are a definite trend this year – one that I’ve been missing out on. This high-waisted style is the perfect fit for winter, especially paired with a statement belt and a tucked-in sweater. When it comes to jeans, I usually allow myself to spend a little more than I would on normal clothes, but since this style is just a trend, I’m not sure if I want to splurge completely. Therefore, I think Black Friday discounts will be the ideal compromise.

American Apparel Denim Shorts

Photo Courtesy of American Apparel

Does American Apparel have a Black Friday sale? I truly have no idea, but I really hope they do. I purchased my first pair of iconic American Apparel denim shorts this past spring, during their store-closing sale, and now I’m addicted (thankfully their website is still in business). I demand that their prices drop just enough this Friday to justify me buying the same pair of shorts, just in a different color of denim.

Cover Photo Courtesy of PicJumbo

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.