mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

MLB’s Most Beautiful Ballparks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, I’m a huge baseball fan! I’m pretty sure it’s in my blood — my dad’s a Giants fan, my grandmother was a Nationals fan, and my granddad is probably the biggest (and oldest!) A’s fan out there. My dad, granddad, and I were all actually born right next to baseball fields, too, so the game has been a part of our lives — literally — from the beginning.

My team of choice is the Red Sox, but I love the game in general, so whenever I’m in a new city, I try to see a game at the nearest ballpark. I’ve been to 10 of them so far, but I hope to visit all 30 before I die. Since the 2019 season is still fresh, I thought I’d share a few of the most beautiful ballparks, some of which I’ve visited and some of which I haven’t. Maybe you can take in a ballgame at one of these fields before October and if not, there’s always next year! 

5. Coors Field (Rockies), Denver, Colorado

I’ve never actually visited Coors Field — or the even the state of Colorado — but this field is high on my list. It’s different from all of the other ballparks, since you have this stunning view of the mountains while watching the game. Most other fields give you an image of city buildings, but I like the variation Coors Field provides. I definitely want to see a game here soon!

Image courtesy of denver.org

4. Wrigley Field (Cubs), Chicago, Illinois

Northwestern students have no excuse not to visit Wrigley Field — it’s only a 30 minute drive or L ride away from campus! One of the oldest fields in the Majors, Wrigley is a classic representation of charming, old baseball fields. The ivy that lines the outfield wall is iconic as is the “W” flag that waves when the Cubs win. The energy of the fans makes the stadium electric, and every baseball enthusiast should certainly experience Wrigley at least once in their lives.

Image courtesy of Parade

3. PNC Park (Pirates), Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

My dad and I first noticed PNC Park when we watched the Red Sox play the Pirates on TV once. The yellow bridge behind center field (now named after Roberto Clemente!) matches the team’s colors perfectly and almost looks like an extension of the ballpark. The Allegheny River peeks out from behind center field also, and it provides a nice contrast to the tall buildings behind it. Luckily, because the Pirates aren’t that good, the tickets are quite cheap!

Image courtesy of Flickr

2. Oracle Park (Giants), San Francisco, California

Formerly known as AT&T Park until this season, Oracle Park is by far one of the prettiest fields in all of baseball. Like PNC, Oracle also has a beautiful water view, with the San Francisco Bay filling the entire background. During games, kayakers even roam the waters right behind the field, hoping to catch a homerun ball! The city has even nicknamed that area McCovey Cove after the famous Giant, Willie McCovey, and the ballpark keeps a tally of the number of “splash hits” that have happened since the stadium’s opening in 2000. Oracle Park is one field where the view from high up is one of the better ones!

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

1. Fenway Park (Red Sox), Boston, Massachusetts

I may be biased, but I’m not the only one who thinks Fenway is the most beautiful Major League field! It’s called “America’s Most Beloved Ballpark” for a reason! The left field wall — known as “The Green Monster” — is one of the most popular places in all of sports to watch a game, and the Fenway green distinguishes the field from any other Major League park. Built in 1912, Fenway is the oldest standing ballpark in all of baseball, and it’s the smallest too, which gives it a more intimate feel. Fenway is truly the Mecca of baseball, and if you haven’t been, you really haven’t lived yet, I’d say.

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

What fields would you add to this list?

Sophia Scanlan

Northwestern '22

Sophia Scanlan is a freshman from Boston, Mass., majoring in History with a minor in Psychology. In her free time (the little that she has!), Sophia likes to read, bake cookies, find the best sales, exercise, and spend time with friends! She's also quite possibly the biggest Red Sox fan out there....