The Met Gala: Fashion’s Most Extravagant Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Musicians, models, actresses, and even reality television stars dressed in their most glamorous and jaw-dropping attire walked the red carpet Monday night for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual Costume Institute Gala. 

Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour chaired the event with actress Jennifer Lawrence as a co-chair. At $25,000-per-ticket, being able to participate in fashion’s biggest night of the year is a luxury reserved for A-list celebrities.

The Met Gala, which began in 1946, raises funds to benefit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute. The gala represents the grand opening of the Costume Institute’s exhibition, and the theme of the gala always matches the theme of the exhibition. The event is one of the biggest fundraising events in New York City, and last year the social gathering raised $12 million. Each year only about 650 to 700 people make Wintour’s guest list.

The best part of the Met Gala is waiting to see the avant-garde outfits. The theme this year was “China: Through the Looking Glass.” Some of the highlights of the night were Kate Hudson, Amal Clooney, and, of course, Rihanna. Kate Hudson looked like a golden goddess in a sparkling Michael Kors gown, and she finished the look with a headpiece to compliment the theme. Amal Clooney outshined her husband in a regal Maison Margiela design. Rihanna took over the red carpet, literally, in a yellow gown with an enormous train. Guo Pei, a Chinese designer, created her gown. Surprisingly, despite the theme, many celebrities chose not to feature Chinese designers. Rihanna performed three of her biggest hits later that night at the event.

While the event may appear to be another excuse for celebrities to show off lavish designs, it supports a great cause and proves that no one can throw a better party than Ms. Anna Wintour.  

**Images from: nymag.com/thecut, perezhilton.com, and sending-postcards.com

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.