Meet Robby Eisentrout, Singing Heartthrob

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI
Major: Vocal Performance and Undecided (in Weinberg)
Birthday: July 4th, 1993
Relationship Status: Single

Q: What are the top 5 songs in your iTunes right now?:
Robby:
1. “Forrest Gump Suite” by Alan Silvestri
2. “Don’t Wake Me Up” by Chris Brown
3. “Demons” by Imagine Dragons
4. “Dog Days are Over” by Florence + The Machine
5. “Perdere L’Amour” by Dionigi D’ostuni

Q: Before coming to NU did you have experience singing in an a cappella group? What drew you to Purple Haze specifically?:
Robby: I sang in The Pioneers, an all-male a cappella group at my high school, for four years before coming to NU. Purple Haze impressed me with their musicality, but they really drew me in with their love of singing together which is so apparent in all their performances.

Q: As a voice major, you sing classical music – how does that compare or contrast with the singing that you do with Purple Haze?
Robby: Singing classically differs drastically from singing in Purple Haze. Classical music requires a darker tone and more vibratto than a cappella music does. I use a lighter and brighter tone that lends itself toward the pop genre when I sing with Purple Haze.

Q: How did you decide to pursue a dual degree between Journalism and Music?
Robby: I came to NU wanting to eventually work as a sports broadcaster. During spring quarter, I realized that journalism hadn’t given me as much happiness and fulfillment as I wished it had, so I switched into Weinberg. I don’t know what I’m majoring in there yet, but I’m sure it’ll come to me in time. Hopefully sooner rather than later! My life wouldn’t be complete without music. I love music. I love singing. I couldn’t come to NU and study it as anything less than a major. The dual degree program lets me feed my soul while also giving me the freedom to explore other majors.

Q: Are you involved in any other activities on campus?
Robby: Yep! I play intramural basketball during Winter quarter.

Q: What’s your favorite NU memory so far?
Robby: Having Purple Haze knock on my door at 2:30 a.m. during Wildcat Welcome Week, walk me outside and then sing around me in a circle, welcoming me to the group.

Q: Favorite quote?
Robby: “Trust your hopes, not your fears.”

Meg Orita

Northwestern

Meg Orita is a junior at Northwestern University, majoring in Voice/Opera performance and probably something else, too.Meg is currently studying abroad in Paris, France (!!!) and loving every minute of it.