Meet Pi Phi’s Vice President of Philanthropy Carolyn Brooks!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Monday blues got you down? Looking for something sweet to perk up your week? Pi Beta Phi is having their annual philanthropy “Pi Phi a la Mode” this Monday, January 26. We talked with Pi Phi’s Vice President of Philanthropy Carolyn Brooks about the event and how Pi Phi does pie right.

Name: Carolyn Brooks

Hometown: Houston, TX

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

What do you do as philanthropy chair?

I plan all of our chapter’s fundraising events, and I also coordinate our chapter’s community service efforts. 

Pi Phi a la Mode sounds like a blast! Tell us a bit about it. 

It absolutely will be a blast! Pi Phi and SAE are going to be selling pie, ice cream, hot chocolate, and cider in the SAE kitchen to raise money for Read > Lead > Achieve, Pi Phi’s national philanthropy. There will be a capella groups performing all night to keep you entertained, and you can get unlimited food and drink with one wristband ($5 presale and $7 at the door). It’s a ton of fun, and, in my somewhat biased opinion, the most fun and delicious way to spend a Monday night. 

Why should people come?

Can you think of anything better on a cold Monday night full of studying than warm pie, ice cream, hot chocolate, and being surrounded by friends? Sounds pretty appealing, right? That’s pretty much the basis of our entire event. We’ve got delicious food, great company, three a capella performances, and a good cause to turn your otherwise gloomy Monday night into a fantastic time. Whether you take a quick study break with us or come hang with us all night, you’re going to have a ton of fun!

What do you like most about the event? 

Apart from the fact that it raises a ton of money for a very worthy cause, my favorite part of this particular event is that it’s such a fun bonding experience for all the new members that work the philanthropy. The Pi Phi and SAE new members are thrown in a cramped, hot kitchen, dishing out messy pie to hundreds of people, and you can’t help but make friends in that ridiculous environment. I know I bonded hard with my pledge class when I worked the event last year, and I can’t wait to make that happen for the new members this year.

Favorite type of pie? 

I’m from Texas, so I’m required by state law to say pecan.