Meet Mega Shabbat Table Captain: Olivia Reiner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Olivia Reiner

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism, BIP,  IMC Certificate

Home​town: Ambler, PA

Have you been to Mega Shabbat before or is this your first time? 

This is my first time at Mega Shabbat!

What has been your favorite Shabbat memory at NU?

I’m Alpha Phi’s representative on the Jewish Greek Life Council, and last quarter we partnered with the gentlemen of Pi Kappa Alpha to host a Shabbat dinner. Men and women with a bunch of different religious backgrounds helped us celebrate over challah, matzoh ball soup and kugel. It was a unique way to unwind after a long week and to share a few Jewish values.

What are you most excited about for Mega Shabbat?

I’m excited to share an experience that is really important to me with my Jewish friends and non-Jewish friends alike. It’s always fun to bond over a common identity with my Jewish friends, but I rarely get to share that side of myself with my non-Jewish friends. 

Why do you think it is important to encourage people who aren’t jewish to attend mega Shabbat?

I don’t think I ever appreciated the meaning of Shabbat until I got to college. It’s really special that the Jewish people literally have a weekly obligation to take a step back from reality, eat some good food and unwind with friends. That’s a value that transcends religion, in my opinion. Any person, religious or not, can identify with the necessity to celebrate something like Shabbat. You don’t have to be Jewish to understand that the stresses of everyday life can be draining and that the best way to cope is to spend time with those that mean the most to you. Because I think Shabbat emphasizes universal values, people who aren’t Jewish would definitely enjoy an event like Mega Shabbat.

What should people attending mega Shabbat expect (types of food, rituals, entertainment)?

There will be three types of “experiences” offered at Mega Shabbat: Classic, Experiential and Traditional. Classic will offer a more social take on Shabbat, Experiential will explore the religious and cultural elements of Shabbat, and traditional is similar to the Shabbat dinners offered at Hillel (it won’t focus as much on explanations behind certain rituals and prayers). Hillel Rabbi Brandon Bernstein will also be leading a discussion at some point during the evening. I don’t have many details regarding food, but I know it’ll be kosher.

What is your favorite food to eat at Shabbat?

Challah. Carbs for days.

Are there any good restaurants to get Shabbat meals in or near Evanston?

I haven’t explored the realm of Kosher food in much detail, but I’ve had the kugel from Kaufman’s deli in Skokie and it’s pretty amazing. I would definitely hit them up for all of my Shabbat needs. (I’m not sponsored by them, but I should be.)