Meet Justine Yücesan of Mayfest!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Justine Yücesan

Hometown: Fontainebleau, France.

Major: Undecided (Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences)

Why did you decide to become involved in Mayfest?

I’ve always been into music and going to live performances. Yet, there is just something so unique about the vibe of music festivals that differs from that of regular concerts that I absolutely love. Music festivals have always been a favorite part of my summer holidays and I wanted to be involved in putting one on for the Northwestern community. Mayfest is also a tight community that is made up of really fun, interesting and dedicated people that I’ve loved working and being weird with. 

What has been the best part about preparing for Dillo?

Working and messing around with the crew has definitely been a great experience. Everyone is really committed to Mayfest and excited about putting on Dillo for the Northwestern community and it really shows. And for all the hard work we put in, we also know how to play hard together.

What are you looking forward to most on Saturday?

The music of course (I’m working on the main stage crew)!!! And just seeing everyone enjoy the product of our hard work. I can’t wait to experience my first Dillo Day after having worked on it for months! Seeing our artist announcements go out to the student body and physically holding our merch were greatly satisfying moments.  

Any last minute advice for event-goers?

Enjoy yourself! Go mental! We all deserve it as the year comes to an end. But be smart about it! We have awesome acts coming to Northwestern just for you and the Mayfest crew has been working hard to plan a memorable day. We want everyone to be able to enjoy Dillo to the fullest while staying safe!

Oh and make sure to get your wristband! The last thing we want is for people to miss out on this awesome event.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I’m a new member of Kappa Kappa Gamma, which is a really new experience for me as an international student. I also try to attend as many open dance classes as possible, but I probably spend most of my time in the studios of the very secluded art building on Lincoln.