Meet Harmony Arcilla, Co-Organizer of KD Confidence Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

(Arcilla on Left)

This week is Kappa Delta sorority’s Confidence Week. Her Campus talked to Harmony Arcilla, the Vice President of Community Service of KD. She and Isabel Ngan, the Vice President of Public Relations, have organized this week of awareness.

Year: Junior.

Hometown: Carol Stream Illinois

Major: Biological Anthropology with a Global health minor.

What’s the purpose of this week?

Confidence Week is defined as seven days of empowering ourselves and others. We don’t raise money, it’s just building awareness. We are part of a greater organization called the Confidence Coalition, which is linked to our two main philanthropies: Prevent Child Abuse America and Girl Scouts of the USA.

What events are you doing this week?

Before this week we’ve been collecting compliments through an online form. On Monday and Tuesday we’re on Norris ground floor collecting compliments written by hand and Wednesday through Friday we’re delivering those to everyone’s dorms and off-campus housing.

Tuesday at the Rock and Wednesday at Tech, we’ll be doing a photo campaign inviting people to participate in writing on our blackboard wall, which says ‘Watch Me…’ and Friday we’ll be handing out balloons to random people walking down Sheridan road with compliments on them. We’ve also given out compliment baskets to all the sororities on campus (PHA, MGC and NPHC) with compliments from our chapter members to their chapter.

In 1South in the library, there’s a wall with sticky notes where people can interact with the wall and answer the question: ‘What/who makes you feel confident?’

Are you working with other groups on campus this week?

We are partnering up with a lot of other groups on campus this week. We’re pairing up with Michelle Enos, a Northwestern faculty member who on campus inclusion and community, Cranes for Courage, Happiness Club and NU Compliments.

Why is this event important to you?

Confidence is something that everyone can relate to. Confidence is something that is important to many people. I love the theme ‘Watch Me’ because it challenges other people to take ownership of their actions and be proud of their identity and own up to the goals they want to achieve and pursue them with pride and ambition.

What is the ultimate goal of Confidence Week?

Our goal is to invite the entire NU community to be involved in this huge movement of confidence. It’s midterm season, this place can be highly competitive and people often forget the talents they have and how high their potential can be. The goal of confidence week is to make aware to people that they can be comfortable in their own skin and they can achieve their goals.

Photos taken from Facebook