Meet Golf Star Lauren Weaver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Major:Biological sciences
Hometown: Scottsdale, AZ
Birthday: 3/7/91
Relationship Status: Single

What’s it like being on the golf team at NU? How do you juggle golf with school and a social life?
Being on the golf team at Northwestern takes up a lot of my time. During the fall and spring quarters we are always practicing, working out or traveling around the United States. Though it is a huge time commitment, I would never want to be doing anything else. Most people think golf is a boring sport with boring people, but the girls on team are far from that. We have so much fun together on and off the course, from winning golf tournaments to splashing around in the ocean for our annual tournament in Puerto Rico. You also get cute polo clothes! Juggling golf with school and a social life is tough and I am still trying to figure it out, but I just try to prioritize my time and do it all.

How did you first get involved with golf?
I have been playing golf since before I can remember. My dad said he used to take me out when I was five years old to a small golf course during the summer. He bought me miniature golf clubs and taught me the fundamentals. Being a five year old girl who loved princesses and putting on make up, I always made a fuss about going to the golf course because I just wanted to play with my friends. Despite my protests, my dad took me out there everyday, started entering me in golf tournaments and I soon found I loved something more than princesses and make up. Now I loved getting gold trophies. My dad is still my coach, and I feel so fortunate I was recruited to be a member of the women’s golf team.

What do you spend your time doing when you’re not golfing? 
When I’m not at practice or traveling to a golf tournament, I like to go for a run on the lake fill, study for my next physics quiz in the library or light up the dance floor at the Keg. I also love going downtown with friends, watching movies and getting McDonald’s.

Do Northwestern guys ever treat you differently knowing you’re an athlete? 
When guys hear I play golf, they sometimes joke around saying they can beat me or ask me to sneak them into our indoor facility.  I also get the classic “I didn’t know Northwestern had a golf team.” I don’t think guys treat me differently or pay more attention to me because I’m an athlete, but in case they do, I always wear my golf team backpack to class. I try to cover all the bases.

Do you prefer athletes to fraternity guys?
I don’t really prefer one over the other. I just like guys who are into having a good time and can make me laugh. Having an athletic build and blue eyes is also a plus.

What do you do for good luck?
For every golf practice and tournament, I wear a ribbon in my hair. Not only do I think it brings me good luck, but I also try to boast the feminine image for golf. Most people think it’s a gentlemen’s sport, but a girl in a cute skirt and bow in her hair can have some game too!

Why HC loves Lauren:
She manages to balance athletics, academics and her social life, and always looks stylish doing it!

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.