Meet Fight for Freedom’s Hayley Landman!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Hayley Landman

Age: 20

Major: American Studies

Hometown: St. Louis, MO

Her Campus: What are three words you would use to describe yourself?

Hayley: Persistent, friendly and passionate.

HC: What is the goal of Fight for Freedom?

Hayley: Fight for Freedom is an anti-human trafficking student group with two constant goals. The first is to raise awareness of human trafficking, since most people aren’t sure exactly what that is, let alone that it exists in Chicago and Evanston. The second is fundraising for local organizations like the Dreamcatcher Foundation, which works to end human trafficking in Chicago. We’re always trying to do more though. I’m the external relation’s chair so my job is to reach out to groups outside of campus and see what we can do to help. It’s difficult, but I’m hoping to be even more involved next year.

HC: What made you want to be involved in Fight for Freedom?

Hayley: During my senior year of high school, a woman at my church was raising money to open up a house in St. Louis for long term care of trafficking victims who had been rescued. Houses like these are rare but provide housing, counseling, education and much more. Before I spoke to her, I realized kidnapping existed but I didn’t realize people being kidnapped and sold was so common. I couldn’t imagine people so much younger than me never getting to go to high school, or having to live with so much trauma for the rest of their lives. After that, I decided to learn more about human trafficking and help with her organization, The Covering House.

HC: What else do you do on campus?

Hayley: I’m also involved in Model UN; I work for the Charbaja Center for Historical Studies and do research for them through the Leopold Fellowship Program; I am the sustainability co-chair at PARC residence hall; and I am currently trying to do a research project on hazardous waste.

HC: Who is one person that inspires you?

Hayley: I’m really so blessed to have so many positive role models in my life but I would have to say my mom inspires me. My mom teaches American history and government, and she went to work as a state defender after she graduated law school, which is a really difficult job for little pay. The sacrifices she has made have had a big influence on me because I really like that idea of making sacrifices to help other people, and I would like to be an environmental lawyer one day. For me, making a difference like she has is huge.

HC: What event are you most looking forward to on campus this year?

Hayley: I’m really looking forward to going to NU baseball games in the spring! Go ‘Cats!

Be sure to attend the F3’s second annual Freedom Café event this May! The event works to support Chicago’s Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation (CAASE). 

Find out more on the F3 Facebook page or view their page here.