Meet Campus Celeb, Catherine Tyree!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Catherine Tyree, a junior at Northwestern, sat down with us to talk a little bit about the double life she lives as a student and equestrian! 

Name: Catherine Tyree

Major: Economics

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Age: 22

Favorite candy: Reese’s Cups

What got you involved in riding?

My mom used to ride and started bringing me and my sister to the barn with her when I was about 4 years old.

What do you do with riding now?

I still compete as an amateur right now just because of school. In riding, amateurs are allowed to compete against professionals so I’ve been focused on that. In the last year or so, I’ve primarily been doing the professional divisions where I get to compete alongside Olympians and world champions which is a really cool experience. This summer, I’ll be working back to that level again as I recover from my injury.

How do you balance school and riding?

I learned how to balance school and riding in high school. In the fall and spring, I don’t travel very often to ride or compete so those are the easier times. In the winter, however, I’m traveling almost every week, usually Wednesday nights through Monday mornings. I try and structure my class schedule in the best way so I don’t miss too many classes and never feel too overwhelmed with work. I’ve been lucky enough to have been able to work with professors who have been very accommodating with my schedule. I’ve learned to manage my time wisely over the past few years because of my traveling, which has helped. I also have friends who are always willing to help take notes if I miss a class or explain material to me if needed which is really helpful in the long run.

What has been your favorite part about Northwestern?

My favorite part about Northwestern has been having the chance to meet some really incredible people. I feel like everyone has their own unique story. While I’ve come across some of the smartest people I’ve ever met, I’ve also met some of the most outgoing and fun people here at NU. I’ve been able to make really great friends here, even though I travel a lot. My close friends are people that I know I can always count on, whether I need someone to talk to or someone to avoid going to the library with.

Thanks for sharing, Cat!