Meet Burlesque Show Performer “Gem Fatale” aka Mackenzie Broderick!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Mackenzie Broderick

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Portland, OR

Year: Freshman

Freshman Makenzie Broderick or “Gem Fatale” (her burlesque name) will be performing in this year’s NU Burlseque Show on Thursday April 4 in the Jones Great Room from 8 – 11 p.m.

What is the Burlseque Show?

The NU Burlesque Show is a performance put on by the Lipstick Theatre as part of NU Sex Week. Burlesque is all about empowering yourself and dazzling the audience with your fabulous body and stage presence. Clothing is removed, but it involves a story and a character, as opposed to simply stripping for the male gaze. Look forward to overwhelming fierceness from all of the performers.

How did you get involved in the Show?

I learned about auditions through Facebook at the beginning of last quarter. I’ve never done any sort of performance, besides my star-making role in the 8th-grade play, but I did play roller derby. The shared theme of empowerment, learning something new, and glitter appealed to me. Like derby, anyone can be part of NU Burlesque, but it takes a lot of practice to create a great show.

What else are you involved with at Northwestern?

On campus, I write for the Current, which is the entertainment section of the Daily Northwestern, and for STITCH. I am also one of the representatives for my sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha, on the New Member Panhellenic Board.

What is your favorite NU memory so far?

That’s a tough question. I would say one of my best memories so far at NU has been late nights (usually involving Pad Thai) in my dorm. I’ve met my best friends in Elder, and we’ve spent many nights avoiding work and just talking.

What do you want to check off your bucket list before freshman year ends?

Besides survive journalism, I guess something I hope to cross off my bucket list is walking to Navy Pier from Evanston. Finally, the weather is nice enough to walk along the lake without being buried in snow!

Come out and see Mackenzie and the other performers of NU Burlesque Thursday Night in Jones Great Room at 8p.m. ! Check out the Facebook Event Here!