Meet the Bro Bloggers!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

J.P. Bowgen

Hometown: Greenwich, CT
Major: Journalism
Birthday: December 19th, 1992
Relationship Status: It’s complicated
Graduation Year: 2015
Guilty Pleasures: the occasional Taylor Swift song, watching Titanic
Pet Peeves: Bad drivers, people who lack common sense, bad foreign language pronunciation
What are you involved in on campus?
Northwestern Club Baseball, Sigma Chi fraternity, One Book One Northwestern, May Fest
What are some words you live by?
Ambition, passion, courtesy, excitement, trust, no regrets
What is your idea of a perfect date?
An ideal date is a date that gives me face-to-face time with a girl. I love the standard dinner and a movie, but I tend to stray toward things that are more unique. Although a fancy dinner, followed by a walk is very nice. Improvisation is a must, and spur of the moment ideas make things all the more exciting.
What do you find most attractive in a girl? 
In terms of physical features, a smile is what I’m most drawn to, because I rarely take my eyes off a girl that I like. Beautiful hair is a bonus. I need to feel at ease with someone, and feel like I can tell her things without having to worry that other people will hear. A cute laugh is definitely a must. I like someone that isn’t afraid to tell me what they’re feeling, and someone that is genuine with me at all times. A girl has to feel comfortable to show a goofier side of herself, and feel like she can joke with me at all times.
How would you describe your personality?
I’m a little stubborn, and my friends can attest to that. I’m definitely passionate about things, and I am very opinionated. I’m very relaxed, and love to take time to myself to settle down and walk along the lake.

Benjamin Shartar
Your Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Major: Journalism
Birthday: September 8, 1990
Relationship Status: Single
Graduation Year: 2013
Guilty Pleasures: Bad Nicolas Cage movies, sleeping in til noon, video games, Law and Order SVU, and fried foods. I tend not to feel guilty about too many things.
Pet Peeves: People who don’t read (there are so many good books out there!), bad manners, intolerance, people who insist that their way is “right,” sunlight waking me up through my blinds, grammatical errors, and people who just don’t care about what they do.
What are you involved in on campus?
Not enough: my fraternity and intramural sports. 
What are some words you live by?
Learn to laugh at yourself because nobody is perfect.
It is useless to look back on what you have done, only look forward to what you will do.
What is your idea of a perfect date?
Not dinner. I hate the awkward pauses when you ask a question right as a person takes a bite and then have to wait for them to chew. I love getting coffee with a girl because it is a great excuse to order the fancy drinks and I just get to talk with her and get to know her. However, my perfect date would be some combination of coffee downtown and then going skating at Millennium Park, it is so pretty downtown at night.
A great smile and if she takes care of her body.
Quirky, charismatic, funny, smart (although I don’t act it most of the time), spontaneous, distracted, easy going, and genuine.

Mike Mallazzo

Hometown: Long Beach, NY
Major: Journalism
Birthday: April 28, 1992
Relationship: In a Relationship
Graduation Year: 2014
Guilty Pleasures: MANswers, COPS, Arizona Iced Tea, Beef Jerky, WWE Video Games
Pet Peeves: People not holding doors open for me, Small Dogs that think they’re the shit
What are you involved in on campus?
In addition to being a bro blogger, I do some only slightly more serious journalism work with the Medill Watchdog Initiative.  I am also the president of Chapin, the residential college nobody knows about and am a Catholic scholar at the Sheil Catholic center.  Finally I am a member of the NU Outing Club and thanks to no longer being injured, I will be re-joining the club boxing team in the spring.
What is your idea of a perfect date?
It all starts with the purchase of one of those Groupon Getaway deals to one of the really nice hotels in Chicago.  From there, I’d say the key is to just have a classy night out together, either going to a concert or cheap play.  Then walk down Michigan Avenue holding hands like you own the place back to your hotel.  Spend the night hanging out with a couple of other strangers and a bartender in a quiet hotel bar before retiring to your 70% off 4-star room.
While the chest is certainly still paramount, the better answer here is a really cute smile.  A girl with a great smile really stands out.
Bold, Unique, Strong and Magnetic

Your Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Major: Journalism
Birthday: September 8, 1990
Relationship Status: Single
Graduation Year: 2013

Guilty Pleasures: 

Bad Nicolas Cage movies, sleeping in till noon, video games, Law and Order SVU, and fried foods. I tend not to feel guilty about too many things.

Pet Peeves: 

People who don’t read (there are so many good books out there!), bad manners, intolerance, people who insist that their way is “right,” sunlight waking me up through my blinds, grammatical errors, and people who just don’t care about what they do.

What are you involved in on campus?

What are some words you live by?

What is your idea of a perfect date?

Your Hometown: Atlanta, GA
Major: Journalism
Birthday: September 8, 1990
Relationship Status: Single
Graduation Year: 2013

Guilty Pleasures: 

Pet Peeves: 

What are you involved in on campus?

What are some words you live by?

What is your idea of a perfect date?

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.