Meet Acid Trap’s Alex Gandolfo!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Alex Gandolfo

Hometown: Bethesda, MD

Major: Economics

Minor: Jazz Studies

Tell me about your band, Acid Trap!

Acid Trap was formed mostly from Syndicate 119, the group that won Battle of the Bands last year. This year, we changed up our arrangements and added an incredible new singer so it felt appropriate to change the name. We came together originally as a group of jazz students looking for opportunities to play music outside of the traditional jazz canon and so far it has been really fun playing more contemporary styles.

How did you get involved in “Battle of the Bands”?

We got involved in BOTB because many of us performed at dillo last year and thought that it would be a great way to showcase our new sound for the whole school

What artist are you most excited for on Dillo Day? Why?

I’m pretty excited to see Odesza live and Miguel is awesome. I’ve been listening to him for a while and his style is a really cool mix of r&b and soul; great way to close out the day

How did you become interested in music?

I first became interested in music because of my mother, who really likes jazz. She turned me on to John Coltrane and Duke Ellington when I was in middle school and I took a liking to their collaborations, especially a tune they recorded called “In a Sentimental Mood”. That early stuff I was listening to is definitely what pushed me to play tenor sax

What else are you involved in on campus?

Outside of music projects, I am the co-president of the NU Investment Management Group and I play on the club ice hockey and lacrosse teams.