The Lowdown with Liv: Evanston Nail Salons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

My first month at Northwestern is a blur. Between hectic Wildcat Welcome, dozens of sweaty frat parties and the shock of my first college classes, I barely had time to sleep, never mind get a fresh manicure. But sometime in that rush of new faces and new experiences, NU began to feel like home. And what’s home without a trusty nail salon? They know your name, your life story and whether you prefer round or square. So once I settled into my home away from home, I set out to find a new salon away from home (don’t worry Jamie, I’ll be back in December!)

My first stop was Bien Assorti, a recommendation of sophomore Kylie Mullins. Their non-stop showings of chick flicks on flat-screen TVs was a welcome luxury, as I had begun to forget what it felt like to watch something other than news (Oh, Medill). Their color selection was sufficient, showcasing the new lines for the season, and the staff was nice enough. The polish application was flawless and lasted about a week before chipping. Yet there’s nothing extravagant about this salon; the experience is mechanical and expedited, which is great for a girl on the run but nothing special for one looking for a little extra pampering. Bien Assorti is located on Davis Street, between Chicago and Orrington. A manicure is $16, but $14 with a WildCARD, and a pedicure is $32 after a $3 student discount.

A little further down Chicago Avenue is Nail Bar, located between Davis Street and Grove Street. Accustomed to rude New Yorkers, I was shocked when the tall, thin blonde receptionist with an Eastern European accent was sweet and accommodating. As I relaxed during a pedicure, she made me Chai tea, even adding my choice of sweetener and blushing as I thanked her repeatedly. While the service is far less mechanical and took longer, the staff seemed more open to catering to customers’ needs. When I commented on the dry skin on my heels, my pedicurist took an extra ten minutes to scrub off extra skin and took extra care for the cut on my finger to ensure it didn’t get infected. The atmosphere is more spa-like, although noticeably absent were nail dryers. Yet, thanks to the help of a drying spray, my manicure stayed perfect through a day-long tennis tournament. Nail Bar charges $17 for a manicure and $35 for a pedicure, and offers a 15% student discount.

While both places provided a sufficient polish job that lasted as long as could be expected, the difference in atmosphere and service could not be greater. If you’re heading out for a quick mani before the night’s event, Bien Assorti is a great choice, but if you have a little more time, Nail Bar provides a more relaxing experience for about the same price. Either way, they’ll hold you over until you can make it back to your hometown favorite.

Olivia Bahou

Northwestern

Liv is a junior majoring in journalism at Northwestern University who hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. Her interest include fashion, Pure Barre, Chai tea lattes, professional tennis and anything related to Italy, where she studied abroad. She loves being the CC for Her Campus Northwestern and looks forward to what the future has in store!
Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.