Wellness

Introvert Hangover Post-V-Day? Consider Feb.15 A Day for U

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I’d like to preface my article in writing: I adore Valentine’s Day. Genuinely.

There is only so much stimulation a girl can bear. Particularly on a day, by virtue of its nature, that fosters — if not mandates — social engagement to the extent at which interaction with another human beings is inescapable.

Yes, readers, I am writing of Valentine’s Day. The sole day a year it is socially acceptable to be, in the words of Junie B. Jones, mushy gushy. (Though I’d argue I am mushy gushy every day of the year).

It is not that I dislike PDE (public displays of emotion) — “I love you” is, perhaps, my favorite phrase. Nor do I dislike candygrams and Valentines. Rather, I dislike the seemingly incessant stimulation of V-Day. (Why must I do something with someone at all hours of the day?)

So much so that I find myself hiding in restrooms and closets and alcoves, supplicating for a moment to myself amid all the mushy gushiness that is V-Day. Just one moment.

And I am quite confident I am not alone in my sentiments. (Well, I’d like to think I am not alone).

So, if you, too, find yourself immensely burnt out post-V-Day, I’ve thought up some ingeniously clever ways to decompress on Feb. 15 — and any day thereafter.

(Most of which do not include holing yourself up in a secluded space).

Consider taking a walk
I don’t wish to jinx our good fortune, but I’ve found this year’s winter to be relatively manageable — to remain in the high thirties, low forties in January in Evanston for, I’ll say the last week or so, is an impressive feat.

So, take advantage of the pleasant (used loosely) weather and stroll the Lakefill. Or, if the Lakefill isn’t quite your scene, mosey on over to Colectivo or another coffee shop of your choosing. (I am of the firm opinion that there is nothing a bit of caffeine and exercise cannot fix).

Find an activity you can enjoy by your lonesome
You’d prefer to refrain from walking due to all the hustling you regularly do cross-campus? No worries, here are several stationary activities that will not leave you short of breath, nor with aching legs.

You could read a book or a mag (I’ve recently read there are rumors of a Megan Fox and MGK split — I could do with learning “a bit” more about their gossip). You could watch a comforting show (“Down to Earth with Zac Efron” is a favorite of mine). Perhaps you could take a power nap — or two.

Spend an additional five minutes in the shower
Should you have the luxury, consider spending an additional five minutes (let’s be environmentally conscious, alright?) in the shower, indulging in the warm water and dulcet tones of your carefully curated shower playlist.

Take a minute or two to breathe
If you cannot find solitude in your dorm, I’ve been told the third floor of Norris is an excellent location to do a bit of breathing work. Or, if silence is not quite what you’re looking for, I am sure the squashy couches are equally suitable to scrolling through TikTok (and watching the aforementioned “Down to Earth with Zac Efron.”)

Albeit cliché, journal
I have not been all that diligent with my journaling as of late, but I find it to be an incredibly therapeutic activity. It allows me to, rather stream-of-consciousness-ly, relay all that has happened on a given day and be honest with my emotions. (Perhaps you, too, need to write: people are exhausting.)

I have by no means exhausted the comprehensive list that is “Ingeniously Clever Ways to Decompress.” However, I am confident you may find a method or two that should satisfy your relaxation needs among the several I have offered.

After all — and as I am sure Shakespeare once said — “what is love if there is no self-love?”

Chloe Mintz

Northwestern '26

A slightly eccentric, peanut-butter-loving, romance-novel-devouring, Hallmark-Christmas-Movie-Watching Aquarius. And adverb-enthusiast. And Peloton-cycling-instructor-wannabe who simultaneously enjoys sharing her unfiltered thoughts via highly witty and brilliantly crafted (she said oh-so humbly) articles.