Purple Background with a purple jaguar graphic and purple text \"I\'m OBSESSED With Victoria Monét - Here\'s Why You Should Be Too\"
Illustration by Sparklestroke Global from Canva / Design by Harlym Pike

I’m Obsessed With Victoria Monet, and Here’s Why You Should Be Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Behind some of the biggest names in the music industry, there are some killer talents writing the songs we all love to sing today. Although some of them dedicate all their time to writing for big artists, there are many that are also very talented artists on their own. Victoria Monét is a fantastic example of this. She’s credited for a number of hits sung by other artists, while also singing many of the amazing songs she’s written herself on her own projects. She has what it takes to be a household name in the music industry, and these are some of the reasons why you should be obsessed with her.

She’s a killer songwriter

If you think you haven’t heard something penned by Victoria Monét, think again. She’s written for artists like her bestie, Ariana Grande, Chloe x Halle, Jordin Sparks, Blackpink, and Selena Gomez. You can thank her for songs like “Do It”, “Ice Cream”, and a host of the work on Thank U, Next for which she received a Grammy nomination. Her fabulous work doesn’t stop with other artists though, as she’s written for herself as well and her most recent album, Jaguar, truly has no skips.

She delivers amazing live performances

Not only is Victoria a talented singer and songwriter, she’s also truly a performer. One watch of her Jimmy Kimmel performance can prove that. From the gorgeous costuming, her stunning opening silhouette, to the amazing choreography, she puts on an amazing show – and does it all with beautiful vocals. Her ability to serve all of these things live makes her a force to be reckoned with.

Her style sense is awesome

As if her talent wasn’t enough to make us all love her, her style is just another thing on the list. Her sparkly ensemble in the previous mentioned live performance was jaw-dropping. For her recent single “F.U.C.K.”, she wore a dazzlingly fierce cowgirl outfit. For her promotion of Jaguar, she bodied the old school style. She has range and never seems to miss with her ‘fits. 

Now, she does it all as a new mother

In December, Victoria Monét announced her pregnancy with a set of stunning images showing off her bump and looking like a goddess while doing so. She welcomed her daughter Hazel in February and has treated us all to glimpses of her a few times. The new addition to her family doesn’t mean she’s slowing down yet, though. She’s recently posted numerous times advocating for a spot as opener for a potential Silk Sonic tour. If you ask me, she makes a very strong case. 

Victoria Monét will no doubt continue to pen amazing lyrics for other artists, but we should all be on the lookout for what she releases for herself next. She deserves so much more recognition for her own talented performances, and hopefully the world is starting to see that too.

Harlym Pike

Northwestern '22

Harlym Pike is a senior from Charlotte, North Carolina studying psychology, sociology, and theatre at Northwestern. In her free time, she loves to perform with her a cappella group, create content, and spend time with friends.