bumble date?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bumble date?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media / bumble
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Last Monday, Her Campus Northwestern kicked off fall quarter with a partnered event with Bumble! After a long summer apart, contributors came together over snacks and music to learn all about Bumble, a dating app seeking to, “create spaces for safe, equitable, and inclusive relationships around the world (Bumble).” Lead by Kate Davis, outreach manager for Bumble Honey, the event gave contributors a deeper look into the world of dating apps.

Here’s an exclusive look into what we learned.

What is bumble?

It’s hard to exist on a college campus without knowing about Bumble, one of the most popular dating apps among college students and young adults. So, what makes Bumble different than the other dating apps we’ve heard about?

Bumble strives to “change the rules of the dating game”. From profile formats that allow users to incorporate more personality to a 24-hour match expiration date, Bumble creates a more fun, personal dating experience that facilitates genuine connection. Bumble’s most well-known feature takes inspiration from the phrase, “make the first move”. In a heterosexual connection, women reach out first. In a same-sex connection, either person can reach out first. Allowing women in heterosexual connections to make the first move not only empowers women to take charge of their own dating experience but also curbs some of the online harassment that heterosexual women often experience on dating apps.

More than a dating app

Though we all came in knowing the premise of Bumble, many of us were shocked to learn about other modes of Bumble. Allowing you to swipe through users seeking friends, Bumble BFF allows you to cultivate genuine friendships on campus. This is an especially important mission following a pandemic, with many of us feeling the aftermath of social isolation. A member even shared that she knows someone who met their post-grad roommates on Bumble BFF. One thing I loved about this event was hearing everyone’s personal experiences with Bumble. Whether you use the app or not, I’m sure everyone keeps a few funny Bumble stories in their back pocket.

We also learned about Bumble Bizz, a sector of Bumble catered to academic and professional life. Bumble Bizz provides an innovative, accessible approach to networking, allowing women to make the first move.

Bumble Honey

Brought to us by the Bumble Honey Ambassador Program, this event also gave us a sneak-peak into the presence that Bumble Honey will have on campus this year. Keep your eyes out for fun events like coffee tabs, virtual workout classes, workshops, and panels with campus organizations. Whether you’re a bumble user or not, you’re sure to see lots of black and yellow around campus this year.

Now that you’ve learned about all the different possibilities on Bumble, what are you waiting for? Go download Bumble! Happy swiping. 

Preeta Kamat

Northwestern '24

Preeta is a sophomore from Rochester, Michigan studying Neuroscience and Global Health Studies in the seven year med program. When she's not working on school, you can find her on coffee runs, exploring campus with friends, baking, or watching reality TV.