Style

How to Win Winter Tailgates (Even if the ‘Cats are Losing)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With the snow beginning to fall and the temperatures dipping below 40 degrees, it’s officially winter weather in Evanston. As a Floridian, I realized I had to adjust my wardrobe for the weather, especially for tailgate season. After experiencing a few cold games so far, I have learned it is definitely possible to stay trendy and warm at the time.

Here’s my guide to win winter tailgates, even if the Wildcats are losing. 

Fuzzy Jacket

A purple fuzzy jacket is the perfect way to stay warm while cheering on the ‘Cats. Style it over a Northwestern shirt to show your purple pride while staying cozy.

Available at amazon.com

Northwestern Socks

Keep your toes warm with fuzzy Northwestern socks. Check out Northwestern’s book store, Campus Gear, or Beck’s Book Store for a great selection of spirited socks. 

Available at shop.nusports.com

Graphic Sweatshirts

Stand out from the crowd in a unique graphic sweaters. Tailgate attire is all over Instagram, so check out one of these accounts for trendy sweatshirts: @spiritszn, @dressedbyjord, @shirtsby_soph.

Available at dressedbyjord.com

Northwestern Leggings

Redbubble has a great selection of fun, festive Northwestern leggings. Keep your legs warm, and style them with a comfy sweatshirt!

Image provided by author

Overalls

Overalls are back and better than ever! Style your overalls over a cute sweater to stay trendy while embracing the cold weather.

Available at gamebibs.com

Winter Hats, Gloves, and Scarves

Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean you can’t show your purple pride! Accessorize with school-spirited hats, gloves, and scarves to stay warm when the temperatures dip on game day. 

Available at shop.nusports.com

Jessie Chaiet

Northwestern '23

Jessie Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, studying Journalism and Economics at Northwestern University. In her free time, she loves to go to the gym, keep up with the latest pop culture news and curate Spotify playlists.