This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you’re a woman living in America right now, you’re probably terrified. I know I am. Georgia and Alabama are outlawing abortion, and Missouri is in the process of trying to ban it as well. This is not just a woman’s issue, this is a human rights issue. As upsetting as this is, there are things we can do to make a change. Here are just a few ways you can support women’s reproductive rights:

Support Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood provides reproductive care for women both in the US and globally. They also advocate for women to receive these fundamental rights and support pro-choice public policies. You can support Planned Parenthood by donating, volunteering, and working as a clinic escort. You can also get involved with the Planned Parenthood club at Northwestern or attend some of their events.

Donate to Abortion Funds

The National Network of Abortion Funds aims to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access. The money that you donate can help fund someone’s abortion and can make all of the difference in just one woman’s life. This organization also advocates for policies that support women’s reproductive rights.

Help women in states with banned abortions

It’s not too late to make change in Georgia and Alabama! Organizations like The Yellowhammer Fund are specifically aimed to help women in Alabama. The Yellowhammer Fund provides funding for abortions at one of the city’s three clinics and helps provide women with travel and lodging. Other organizations are: Access Reproductive Care – Southeast, Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund, and Gateway Women’s Access Fund (and there are even more organizations to support than just these).

Elect pro-choice candidates

Next year, we have a big election coming up! Support female candidates and support pro-choice candidates! Organizations like Emerge America, EMILY’s List, Run for Something, and the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee are dedicated to empowering pro-choice candidates.

Make your voice heard

YOU can make a difference! No matter how small or how big you have the power to make a change. Protest, call your senator, and support women and their rights. On May 23, there will be a Rally for Reproductive Justice in Chicago. Go out and make your voice heard!

Emily Chaiet

Northwestern '20

Emily Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida studying journalism at Northwestern University. She is also pursuing a minor in sociology and a certificate in integrated marketing communications. In her free time she likes to rewatch the Office on Netflix and go to CycleBar.