How To Stick To Your New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
With the second week of January coming to a close, the gyms start emptying. With January halfway over, New Year’s Resolutions begin to fizzle out and be put to the back of people’s minds. While for gym rats this is the godsend they have been waiting for, here at HC we want collegiettes to be the best they can be, and stick to the resolutions they have made all year long! Whether it be fitness, health, social, fashion, class, or anything you can imagine — here are the best ways to make your resolutions, and stick to them too!

1. Dream big.

Broad and long-term goals are a great starting place for making resolutions. Think about things that would make you happy and why they would make you happy. These are the kinds of things that will be the easiest to stick to! If you have a reason why you are pursuing a goal, you can keep that reason in mind as motivation. No resolution is too hard if it is something you truly want.

2. Break it down.

Once you have larger goals, break them down into monthly, weekly, and daily goals. If you want to get stronger, make it a goal to lift weights three times a week. Want to eat healthier? Try making one smart swap a day, or add in a serving of veggies. By making your goals a focus on a daily basis, you will never forget them or leave them to die.

3. Make it easy.

Some goals may seem difficult to achieve — but when they are broken down to their simplest parts they don’t seem so scary! If you want to get better at going to yoga, going to classes isn’t always the easiest. Think of a way to make it easier! Instead of hour-long classes, try 15 minute YouTube videos. In this way, you can’t make excuses because it is such a short part of your day. The same can go for other goals like reading more or going to sleep earlier. Try reading for 5 minutes a day or going to bed 5 minutes earlier each night. Before you know it your goals will be achieved!

4. Have easy goals.

We all have big dreams and goals, but some switches don’t have to be so hard! Small goals are like a confidence booster. They are goals you know you can achieve, so when you get there it will motivate you by showing you that accomplishing your resolutions is possible! With renewed confidence, it will be easier to tackle bigger tasks and lifestyle changes.

5. Make yourself accountable.

Whether it be through physical people (like friends and family), online communities, or journaling, making yourself accountable in some way holds you to your daily goals. These support groups can remind you of your goals and help get you moving when your motivation is low. Even just keeping yourself accountable by having a visible checklist of daily activities or journaling when you do and do not accomplish your daily goals can help tremendously.

Whether you have small or large resolutions and no matter what parts of your life they affect, just make sure to enjoy yourself and celebrate your victories! No one can stick to their resolutions if the process is grueling and unenjoyable, so have fun and be the best version of yourself!