How To Keep Yourself From Breaking Under Pressure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As a college freshman or sophomore, it is difficult to find the place you belong. Discovering which activities to dedicate your time to can be tricky, as there are so many to choose from. There are hundreds of things to do on campus, and there is often this impression that as a student you have to be a part of a couple clubs, have a part-time job, an internship lined up for the summer, some leadership experience and be socially active. This leaves no time for actual school, sleep, or any other healthy behaviors. Often times students find themselves being pulled in too many directions and succumbing to overwhelming stress. The truth is, there are none of these “perfect students” that participate in everything mentioned above, and at Northwestern University, there seems to be a “busy” culture. Instead of focusing on one or two things that they are truly interested in, students tend to stretch themselves too thin in fear of not being as prepared for the future as others, or possibly missing out on something. As the quarter goes on, reducing your commitments or simply finding your space in the community, will help you manage your stress levels and simplify your experience.

Identify if you’re being good to yourself

The first thing to identify is if your schedule is productive or harmful to your wellbeing and performance. Doing as many things as possible is not always the best decision, as is doing nothing at all. Finding a happy medium can be difficult, but essential. If on a daily basis you feel stressed about your college experience and your overwhelming number of commitments, the best thing to do is cut some out. This seems obvious, but it is in fact very difficult. Choosing extra activities because you think they will look good on a resume or apply to your major is not always the best way to determine how to spend your time. Doing activities that you do not feel passionate about can increase your stress because they will take up large chunks of time and seem to give you no pleasure. There is no need to be a part of seven different clubs, and finding a few that apply to your future and excite you is essential. If you are part of too many things, you will have less time to dedicate to each activity and will be unable to give necessary effort that each requires.

Set boundaries and goals for yourself            

The best thing to do once you recognize your overwhelming overcommitment is to set priorities for yourself and keep your life in balance. You know what is most important to you and your future and what must get done. As a student, you can prioritize social activities over school and homework, but once you get your grades back that might just increase the stress. There are certain activities that have clear priority over others and cannot be cut out, but you must re-assess your interests and desires to fill in the rest of your schedule rationally.

Remember: You can say “no”

Keeping your life in balance is key, remembering to not take on too many commitments or too few. There is also a negative stigma around saying no or quitting which prevents people from supporting their wellbeing. You are allowed to say no and you are allowed to quit, this does not mean anything worse about you. If you can pursue your own wellbeing, then you have the necessary strength and respect for yourself that you deserve.