How to Keep Your Grades as High as the Temperature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

WE MADE IT.  The days of polar vortexes and hiding behind jackets so puffy they make us invincible to all injury are over.  Spring reading week is almost here, and our rewards for surviving winter quarter are sundresses and days tanning (or in my case, turning into a human lobster) by the lakefill.  However, just because we have an excuse to go outside doesn’t mean we have an excuse to stop staying in and doing work.  For many at Northwestern, GPAs and the temperature are inversely related, but they don’t have to be!  We’ve got you covered with tips to satiate your sunshine without sabotaging your finals. 

1.  Make Some Alone Time 

It’s easy for you and your friends to tell yourselves that you’re going to “study” together on the quad, but we both know that’s not going to happen.  Enjoy the outdoors on your own for an hour or two and you’re guarenteed to get more work done.  When there’s nothing but you, a laptop, and a lawn chair, the liklihood that you’re going to get distracted plummets. 

2.  Become a Night Owl 

No, I’m not advocating pulling an all nighter before your last final (but I’m not denying that I’ve been there).  Let yourself enjoy the warm sunny Evanston days!  Go shopping in town, go for a run to the B’hai temple, but DON’T go to the library.  Instead, hit the books when the sun goes down and the wind chill goes up – it will be a lot less tempting to ditch your assignments and stare wistfully out the window.  

3. Incorporate Organization Into Spring Decor 

It doesn’t matter how many weeks worth of unfolded laundry you let pile up on your floor last quarter, the spring cleaning bug hits almost everyone.  Use it as an opportunity to stay on top of your game!  Bright desk and wall calendars give you much-needed color while serving as a constant reminder that yes, there are finals at the end of reading week. 

4. Take Your Workout Outside 

You will be hot.  You will be sweaty.  And when it’s all over, you’ll want nothing more than to flop on your bed next to the AC or fan (why, Willard?  Frances would be ashamed to learn we don’t have air conditioning).  Take this time to review your notes from the day – it’s quick, you’re sharp from the endorphin high, and there is absolutely NOWHERE you’d rather be.  

Photo Credit: 1 2 3 4 5

Julia Cohen

Northwestern

Julia is a wannabe Upper East Side socialite from Long Island, New York.  In her free time, she enjoys suffering through Blogilates, thinking of creative ways to use her blender, and fantasizing on the Lily Pulitzer website.  She hopes to use Her Campus as an outlet for her sassy wisdom, and she wants to let everyone reading her articles know that she loves them and wishes she could hand-deliver them all chocolate.