matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As the end of November approaches, both the northern and southern California wildfires continue to affect residents and wildlife of the state. Many people have lost their homes, and some have even lost their lives. Brave firefighters are still trying to contain the blazes to prevent further damage to property and nature. During this season of Thanksgiving, I am sure many of us are reflecting on all of the blessings in our lives, and hopefully, we can transform this gratitude into reaching out to help others. Below are five organizations that are accepting donations for California fire victims.

GoFundMe

This popular fundraising site has links to more specific pages of people who need financial help rebuilding their homes or community centers.

The California Fire Foundation

The California Fire Foundation provides financial assistance to people who have lost their homes and belongings in the wildfires. Their Supplying Aid to Victims of Emergency (SAVE) program is giving those in need $250 gift cards so they can purchase food and other necessities.  

Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation

Firefighters are currently seeking donations for hydration backpacks. The more support we give these courageous men and women, the faster the fires can be stopped.

Humane Society of Ventura County

If you are looking to help the animals who have become displaced because of the fires, consider donating to the Humane Society of Ventura County. This nonprofit remains open because of private giving and continues to provide shelter for dogs, cats, and horses.

The California Community Foundation

The CCF’s Wildfire Relief Fund provides assistance to those who have been affected by the fires and may have been afflicted with physical or mental health problems because of the blazes. There are no fees for CCF donations, so 100 percent of your giving will go directly to helping others.  

Laurel Wholihan

Northwestern '20

Northwestern Contributor 2020