This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s about time the Northwestern Football team played a home game! It’s been almost a full month since the Wildcats have played at Ryan field and fittingly it’s also Homecoming.

So, to celebrate Homecoming and our (can you believe it) second to last home game of the season, here are some ways to do Homecoming right.

Get in touch with alumni

• As someone who was really close to a lot of upperclassmen as a freshman, seeing these alumni come back on campus for homecoming is really exciting. They’ve left this little college bubble and have journeyed into the real, working world, and for one weekend, they’re back to celebrate Northwestern like they did as college students! If anyone wants to have a good time this Homecoming weekend, it’s undoubtedly the alumni!

Dress Up

• Despite their really, really rough start to the season, the football team is headed into the homecoming game with TWO huge road wins. Michigan State and especially Iowa fans are known to be really belligerent (I was at the Iowa game, and I was dodging bottles that fans were throwing!) and I’m sure the football team would love seeing their fans duked-out in purple pride! You only have TWO MORE TIMES to dress up, so make it count!

Stay for the whole game

• It’s an 11am game, so there’s no doubt you’ll be up early to tailgate. However, because the game is so early, the game will be over by 4pm and you’ll have plenty of time after the game to take a nap and rejuvenate to go out at night. Since Northwestern fans are notorious for emptying the stands the moment the Wildcats start losing, let’s change that and cheer on the ‘cats until the clock is at 0:00! 

Prepare a delicious breakfast         

• Yes, it’ll be early. But there’s nothing quite like having a full stomach as you head out to tailgate. Invite your closest friends to do a little potluck so that you can eat together and get ready together before heading out to tailgate!

Attend the programmed Homecoming events

• Though most of the homecoming events that are programmed by Northwestern are for the alumni, there are still many that undergrads can partake in! So many different organizations will be featured in the Homecoming Parade and there will be a lot of hype at the pep rally directly afterwards. There’s a whole committee dedicated to Homecoming and I’m sure they’ll host an amazing weekend!