The Her Campus Guide to Farmer’s Markets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Just as the weather is turning the corner and it’s finally starting to feel like spring, the farmers now have plentiful fruits and veggies to sell. This means one thing: Farmer’s Market is back! The Evanston Farmer’s Market runs from May 6th to November 4th 2017 every Saturday morning from 7:30 am to 1:00 pm in the parking lot at the corner of University Place and Oak Avenue. With 58 vendors, there’s plenty to buy, taste. and see. But, it can get a little overwhelming. Here is HC’s guide to the Farmer’s Market so you can enjoy it to the fullest extent.

• Bring cash! It’s much easier since most vendors only take cash anyways. It will also help keep your spending in check since the money is physically changing hands. Try to bring smaller bills so your money interactions are simpler and faster.

• Bring a bag to haul food.

• Prepare to spend all of your budget. This means bringing an extra big bag and money just in case!

• Research what’s in season so you know what to look for! Fruits and veggies will taste much better when they are at their peak season .

• Be early so you can grab all the good stuff before it’s gone! The smartest shoppers go in the morning to get the best pick. Plus, it will not be as crowded so you can really talk to the vendors and take your time.

• Take a lap before you buy anything. Since all the farmers have the same produce in season, you can compare goods and prices and pick your favorite. No one wants to buy a bunch of tomatoes and then find out that they’re cheaper the row over.

• Get testers. Many farmers let you try their goods so take advantage of this and try things before you buy them!

• Be adventurous and try new things. There are so many amazing artisan goods and produce that it’s worth it to splurge a little and get outside of your comfort zone.

• Talk to the vendors and don’t be afraid to ask questions! They can tell you exactly how and where the crops are grown and help you choose the best products. They can also give you helpful tips on preparation of foods that are unfamiliar, or ways to preserve ingredients. Building relationships with certain farmers can also get you great deals in the future.

• Store your food correctly so it doesn’t spoil. Farmers’ goods don’t have the same preservatives and pesticides as foods at the grocery store and can turn sour if you’re not careful. Make sure to look up the best ways to store your produce, like separating your fruits from your veggies.

For more information including a full list of vendors, check out the Evanston Farmers Markets website.