Golden Globes Best & Worst Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

One of the very few things I look forward to this time of the year is the awards season. We always predict who’s going to wear what, but the fun is in the pleasant- and not so pleasant- surprises. Last night’s Golden Globes was fortunately anything but a disappointment- our favorite celebrities graced the red carpet and made the event a truly glamorous one as always. Here is HC’s take on the night’s best and worst dressed celebrities.

Best Dressed
1.      Charlize Theron

(Photo credit: people.com)
The long-time glamorous muse of Christian Dior wore a Dior Couture gown that was definitely out of the ordinary. Even with the dress’s plunging neckline and a thigh-high slit, the actress kept the look modest and graceful with demure Cartier jewels and barely-there sandals. The vintage Cartier diamond headband tied up the elegant look with an unexpected twist.

2.      Angelina Jolie

(Photo credit: people.com)
The vixen who never fails to impress once again looked effortlessly sexy without exposing too much skin. The Best Foreign Language Film nominee wore a cream-and-strawberry Atelier Versace gown with matching strawberry hued clutch and lips. The rest of the look was kept simple and sleek, with hints of subtle sparkle added with Lorraine Schwartz earrings. The reason why she always lands on the best dressed list? It looks like she didn’t even try.

3.      Jessica Alba

(Photo credit: people.com)
The always fashionable actress looked angelic in a lavender Gucci gown embellished with floral detailing and a silk train. With a matching clutch and sparkling Bulgari jewelry, the fashion icon let the dress speak for itself. With a no-fuss up-do and noticeable confidence, this look was undoubtedly one of last night’s sweetest outfits channeling the anticipated spring season.

4.      Nicole Richie

(Photo credit: people.com)
The fashion icon kept her look modern yet sophisticated with a shimmering Julien MacDonald gown. The personality and fashion designer still stayed true to her signature bohemian style with a stack of bangles and metallic clutch from her own House of Harlow line. Her hair straightened and kept down in a simple half-up do was a smart choice that complemented the simplicity of the dress.

5.      Kate Beckinsale

(Photo credit: people.com)
The glowing actress sported a curve-hugging blush hued Roberto Cavalli gown that complemented her flawless figure. Beckinsale certainly knew how to make statement jewelry the focus of her outfit- her glamorous Lorraine Schwartz earrings and sparkling cuffs easily made her one of the stand-outs of the night.

[pagebreak]

Worst dressed

1.      Kelly Osbourne

(Photo credit: people.com)
The cobalt blue box sleeved Zac Posen gown did absolutely nothing to flatter Osbourne’s figure and face shape. Covering up more skin may be the new sexy, but a feminine and shoulder-baring chiffon gown would have been a better choice for Osbourne’s body and angular face shape. Her gray hair with tints of blue only made her look older than she actually is.

2.      Sarah Michelle Gellar

(Photo credit: people.com)
The actress wore a blue-and-white Monique Lhullier gown that seemed to be a size or two too big for her body. The gown’s multiple layers hid every inch of Gellar’s body from the chest down. She was reportedly sporting Jimmy Choo shoes, which were also unfortunately hidden under the rather large dress that seems to be best described as a legitimate “ball gown.”

3.      Julianna Margulies

(Photo credit: people.com)
This outfit is yet again proof that covering up too much on the red carpet can be disastrous.  The general rule of thumb is to shorten the hemline of the dress if it covers the entire upper body, and have it cover the legs if it bears the shoulders or shows cleavage. Margulies broke both rules and in this case, breaking the rules wasn’t refreshing at all. The Naeem Khan gown would have looked far better if she would have made it a short mini and flaunted her legs.

4.      Zooey Deschanel

(Photo credit: people.com)
Not only is the lime green-and-black Prada gown distracting in its pattern and unflattering to Deschanel’s slim figure, but the actresses’ new hairdo completely hides her exquisite, doll-like facial features that we all came to love.  A sweet “cheerleader” ponytail with side-swept bangs would have been a better option for Deschanel. Or a different dress altogether.

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo