jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens WUmb eBrpjs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#GetFit: Social Media Fitness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Photo Credit: Nike

Winter quarter can definitely cause our so-called “New Years resolution” fitness goals to slide a little bit. Even if Blom is only a five-minute walk away from the sorority quad it does mean suiting up in Eskimo gear and, well, the The Bachelor is already on downstairs….

As easy as it is to make excuses not to work out, we’ll thank ourselves more when we find reasons to pull out that cute workout gear we promised ourselves we’d put to good use. This year, instead of intagramming a picture of the new Lululemon tank you got, use your social media to #getfit!

One of the best parts of social media is the ability to share and access what the rest of the world is thinking. Tons of social media users post fitness-related articles, photos, tweets, and blogs every day! Following a fitness routine or fitness motivation account is a great way to switch up your workouts and keep yourself going! Plus, you can share with friends and keep each other motivated!

Here are my picks for a social media account on some of the top social media platforms!

Instagram:

@daily_workouts

This account is like your own personal trainer- and hey, its free! Each day, you will find new workouts for a variety of difficulty levels posted to this account. Some of the workouts are inspired by celebs or are designed to do to a specific song! Plus, when you’re feeling lazy and you are scrolling down your Instagram feed, a post from this account is sure to motivate you to go to the gym! If this account isn’t for you, searching any general fitness hashtag such as #workout or #fit on instagram will lead you to a variety of similar accounts.

Youtube:

Blogilates:

This YouTube Page and online blog was created by fitness instructor Cassey Ho. I did a bunch of her videos this summer and they were great! She posts all different length Pilates videos so you can squeeze in a quick workout when you’re having one of those #NUProblems kinda days. She’s super peppy and girly so if that’s not really your style, maybe try some Jillian Michaels. Either way, YouTube workout routines are the perfect way to do some dorm room exercise and to get the benefits of a workout class for free!

Pinterest:

Lauren Conrad’s “Get Fit” Board:

The great thing about Pinterest is that you can gather bits and pieces from different accounts to make your own unique collection. Searching fitness, workout, health, or anything of that sort will yield you tons of pins on fitness to help you getting started creating your own fitness board. But, for some inspiration, check at Lauren Conrad’s “Get Fit” Board! Following celebs is a lot of fun because you know their tips have paid off well for them. In addition to workout routines she also posts fitness motivation quotes, healthy eating tips, and some cute outfit inspirations! Challenge yourself to make a board like this and motivate yourself and your friends!

Twitter

@FitBottomedGirl

This account is humorous just like it’s name. The motto? “Keeping a lid on that junk in the trunk.” Here, you’ll find tweets with links to helpful workouts, healthy meals, and just general tips to the struggles of staying in shape. The account is also very interactive and will respond to many of its followers who tweet questions or workout accomplishments.

App Store

Nike + Running

This is one of my favorites apps that I have on my phone. It tracks your runs so you can see how far you are going and also how far you’ve run in total. You can set it to give your prompts at certain distances or encouraging words when you’ve hit certain time limits. Plus you can boast your accomplishments to the Facebook community if that’s your style. Another big workout app is Zombies, Run! which plays the sound of vicious zombies in your ears as you run faster and faster…or at least that’s the idea!