Fun Facts about the Royal Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

May 19, 2018 will go down in history. The royal wedding is this weekend, and this one should definitely spark American interest because the bride-to-be, Meghan Markle, is from Los Angeles. Even more exciting is that Meghan Markle is actually an alumna of Northwestern, so anyone on campus that claims they have not thought that they, too, might be a princess one day is blatantly lying. To get excited for the big day, here are a few facts about the happy couple and the actual event itself.

1. At 36, Meghan Markle will be one of the oldest people to ever marry into the royal family. She will also be the first mixed-race member of the royal member and the first divorcee. Lots and lots of firsts.

2. As if you didn’t already know that they are the perfect couple, Prince Harry actually designed Meghan’s engagement ring himself. Couple goals. That is all.

3. One of many strange traditions at royal functions is that they almost always avoid shellfish because of its high risk of food poisoning. The royal wedding is definitely no exception to this rule. Personally, I like oysters, but I guess the royal family doesn’t really care about my opinion. 

4. In sadder news, Meghan Markle’s dad will not be at the wedding. There has been a ton of controversy over this, but it has been confirmed that he will not be able to attend on medical advice.

Whether you are tuning into the royal wedding because it is a major historical event, or because you feel that you will be in her shoes one day, it is definitely going to be an event to remember. It will be airing at 6 a.m. CST, so set your alarms and be ready with some tea and crumpets!

Gif Courtesy of Giphy