jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Credit to Rafi Letzter Photgraphy, Zeta Tau Alpha Formal 2013, www.letzterphoto.com

Formal season is here! Winding down to the end of the quarter means a lot of late nights spent in the library catching up on that reading you “forgot to do” all quarter (oops) while you prepare for finals, but it also means it’s time for many different organizations on campus to hold some really awesome events! Sororities, fraternities, students organizations, and residence halls are all holding some formals coming up in the next few weeks. We all can’t wait pull out that new (slash the one no one has seen here that you wore for sophomore year homecoming dance) dress and get all fancy for something a little different than a sweaty frat party. But, along with the excitement of preparing for formal comes the stress of finding a date. This formal season instead of stressing out over who to take, check out these date situations and decide which one you’re looking for. Then pick someone who fits that category and stop stressing so you can spend a little more time thinking of how to walk in your 5 inch prom heels.

So, what are you looking for?

A guaranteed hookup.

Guilty as charged: we all enjoy the occasional dfmo. We’re probably in one of the only points in our lives when this is acceptable anyway right? If a hookup is what you’re looking for don’t be afraid to make the first move. If there’s someone you’ve hooked up with before who you think may be a fun date, don’t hesitate to ask! The worst they can do is say no, which is their loss! It’s going to be a great night and it’s not like you’re asking them to marry you- it’s no big deal. If there’s no one who has been catching your eye lately ask for a suggestion from a friend or maybe just talk to some new guys when you get to formal!  A lot of people will just bring friends which sometimes means they’re up for grabs.

A replacement for your boyfriend

Long distance relationship? Don’t let this stop you from going to your formal! Just because your guy isn’t in town doesn’t mean you can’t have a great time! Invite a good friend, if you have good trust in your relationship, your guy won’t get jealous. Or, if you’re really not comfortable inviting a guy, invite someone a friend wanted to take that she didn’t get to invite! Just make sure you go, don’t sit home and sulk about missing your guy, it’s going to be a great night.

If your boyfriend is on campus and not able to go,  maybe take one of his friends or one of your friends that he knows. Sometimes it’s better to take someone he knows, but if he trusts you he shouldn’t be too worried about whoever you take. Again, make sure you go! Having a boy isn’t the  only way to have fun at a formal, you’ll regret it if you stay home!

Surprise me!

Looking for a night with some unexpected twists? Try a setup! A lot of friends are eager to set up their friends, because let’s be real, who doesn’t love to play matchmaker sometimes? If you’re nervous about a setup, take that guy you haven’t talked to a while or that cute guy you met this year that’s caught your idea. Don’t be nervous, confidence is so sexy. And if he says no, again, his loss. Be open minded and take some risks, it’ll pay off!

A night free of awkwardness!

If you don’t want any awkward tension or hookup drama take a good friend to formal. This is an option that never fails. Dressing up and having fun with a good friend is always a blast. Take that friend you lived with last year but you never see anymore, it’ll be a great way for you guys to spend some time together! The pressure will be down and you’ll always have this night as a funny memory to share.

A night off from jerky guys!

On a break from guys lately? We all have those times. There’s nothing wrong with taking a girl friend to formal! Dress up together and treat it as the ultimate GNO. Vow not to talk about guys and just dance it off. This will make a perfect square in the birthday collage you Instagram for her (don’t pretend you’ve never made one).