This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This weekend is one of the most-watched television events of the year and a day that football fans wait all year for: Super Bowl Sunday. This Sunday, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will face off with the Kansas City Chiefs in a game that is sure to be exciting. Personally, I love Super Bowl Sunday, but I am not the biggest football fan. So, if you’re like me and plan to spend the Super Bowl with roommates, family or a small group of friends (in a COVID-safe manner), here are some ways to make gameday more exciting. 

The Commercial Game

I learned about this game recently from a friend who watches nearly every televised NFL game. Because the Super Bowl is so widely watched, the commercials are bound to be creative and funny. The rules are simple: you try to guess what company the commercial is advertising for before the characters in the commercial say it. If you’re watching by yourself, it’s a great way to test your knowledge. If you’re playing with a group, there are so many opportunities to add incentives. Maybe whoever guesses the most correctly at the end of the game wins some sort of prize, and whoever guesses the least has to complete a dare of sorts. Be creative! This is also a great game to play if you’re watching the Super Bowl at a virtual gathering. 

The Puppy Bowl

The Puppy Bowl is my favorite part of Super Bowl Sunday. Team Fluff and Team Ruff will face off to win the coveted Puppy Bowl XVII trophy this Sunday at 1 p.m. Central Time on Animal Planet. All of the Puppy Bowl players are up for adoption, and they are always just the cutest (I’m a dog person if you couldn’t tell). This year’s Puppy Bowl is going to be hosted by a true dynamic duo: Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg. You truly do not want to miss this event!

Friendly Competition

Like I mentioned earlier, I am not a big football fan, and I do not necessarily care who wins this Super Bowl. Technically, I am a Jets fan, so the odds that I will ever have any stake in the Super Bowl are very low. But, I am always up for a little bit of competition. Split the group of people you are spending gameday with in half and assign each group a different team (or have people choose a team if they have a preference). Then, each team will try to create some kind of snack or dessert that fits the theme and color scheme of their team. You can either assign someone to be the judge or ask social media for their opinions on who won! This is a great pre-game activity and hopefully you’ll be left with some tasty treats to eat during the game. 

The Halftime Show

Halftime shows never disappoint, and this year is no different. This year, The Weeknd will perform at the Super Bowl Halftime Show, and it is bound to be an outstanding performance. He has supposedly put a lot of time and money into producing the performance, and I can’t wait to see it! Also, in an era where concerts and live music are rare, it will be nice to have the feeling of a live performance from the safety and comfort of your own home or dorm room.

Snacks, Snacks and More Snacks

In my family, we don’t usually have a full-on dinner for Super Bowl Sunday. Instead, we make a bunch of different smaller dishes and snacks to all share. Some of my favorites are pigs in a blanket, soft pretzel bites, baked salami (sounds weird but I promise it is amazing), vegetables and dip and, of course, chips and guacamole. Use the Super Bowl as an excuse to put on your chef’s hat and make yourself some yummy food! If you live with people, this is a great opportunity to spend some quality time with them and take a break from the stressful work week. You deserve it! 

Annie Epstein

Northwestern '23

Annie is from New York City and is studying Journalism, Psychology and Jewish Studies at Northwestern University. In her free time, she loves to bake and listen to Broadway soundtracks.