david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Ways to Celebrate Halloween in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Just because you’re almost a real-life adult, doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate Halloween anymore. Here’s how to get the most out of the holiday while you’re still at school!

1. Decorate your room

Make a quick stop to CVS or Party City and stock up on some pumpkin cling decals, wall décor and most importantly a fake (or real, if you really want to get into the mood!) jack-o’-lantern. As Halloween gets closer, everyone will want to hang out in your room and enjoy the spooky environment. Don’t forget to hang some pumpkin string lights to really give your room that fun yet eerie ambience!

1. Trick-or-treat around your building

Talk to your building’s administrator, plan the event and have everyone trick-or-treat around the halls. This can be a fun bonding activity that not only includes getting to know new people, but also yummy free candy!

1. Wear your costume to class

It’s Halloween time, why not wear your costume? Although the holiday doesn’t fall on a weekday this year, you could still do this the Friday before! Get a friend or two and plan to wear a subtle costume (or if you’re feeling confident, a not-so-subtle one) and wear it around campus for the day. Show your spirit and reminisce on the middle school days when wearing a costume to school on Halloween was the norm.

1. Make simple and easy Halloween-inspired snacks

Spend an afternoon unwinding from classes by making some fun Halloween treats. Buy some chocolate cupcakes or some sugar cookies and frosting and turn the cupcakes into spooky Halloween treats. If you don’t have a sweet tooth, you could buy some guacamole and black tortilla chips and make a fun Frankenstein-inspired plate.

1. Watch a classic Halloween movie

Get together with your friends and watch a classic Halloween film! Or, host a Halloween movie marathon that includes the fun Disney movies and the super scary horror flicks like “The Exorcist” and “The Shining.” Don’t forget to eat all the Halloween candy you collected from during your movie marathons!

Ana Cordera

Northwestern

Ana is a sophomore at Northwestern University pursuing a Journalism degree and a certificate in Integrated Marketing Communications.