First Ladies of Style: Michelle Obama vs. Ann Romney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s no secret that image serves a pivotal role in political campaigns and this year’s presidential election has been no exception. Michelle Obama and Ann Romney, the leading ladies of the 2012 presidential race, have been watched closely as they traveled across the United States to support their husbands. Their speeches and personal ideologies have been  examined by the public, but the women’s fashion remains a hot topic of interest.

Photo Credit

Comparisons between the two women poured in after Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Romney arrived at the second presidential debate sporting the same bright pink hue. Critics consistently pin the women against each other in celebrity-like competitions, gracing such battles with titles like “Ann vs. Michelle” or “Fashion Faceoff.” 

Photo Credit

Over the past few years, Mrs. Obama has been praised as a fashion icon for the average American woman. Critics love her use of color and skillful ability to combine designer and off-the-rack items. Although her go-to designer continues to be Jason Wu, Mrs. Obama is often seen mixing affordable brands such as J.Crew and H&M into her outfits.

Photo Credit

While Mrs. Romney is less accustomed to the spotlight, she has proven herself worthy of it over these past few months. She steered clear of bold designs at the beginning of her husband’s campaign, but has since personalized her style, frequently adding a statement necklace or unexpected texture to her ensemble.  On “The Tonight Show,” Mrs. Romney even donned an Alfred Fiandaca black leather skirt suit, hardly the norm for a potential first lady.

Though the two women have had similar motives this election season, their styles continue to reflect their individual personality and character. Mrs. Romney’s feminine simplicity has evolved to include unexpected flairs, while Mrs. Obama’s style continues to serve as the standard for the fashion-forward yet practical American woman. The campaign will end today, but the media and public will surely continue to look to these women for examples of contemporary womanhood and elegance.