Fall Trends To Try Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Fall Trends to Try Right Now

It’s that time of year again. The summer that seemed to know no end is being carried away right before our eyes. The leaves are quickly changing color, and we start to realize that it’s time to let go of the warmth of a long break and get ready for another chilly season. It’s a time when we start settling down into a new routine, and such structure, stability and originality is definitely reflected in many of the trends seen on the runway this fall. My biggest advice for you? Cherish this moment, where new beginnings and innovative trends dominate the exciting ambiance of autumn, because this time only comes once a year, and it’s not going to stick around for long.

1. Oxblood

From left to right:
Topshop Lace & Chiffon TunicRich & Skinny Women’s Legacy Legging Jean in Oxblood LeatherTopshop Medium Fur Collar, Topshop Bowling Bag, Pour la Victoire Oxblood Suede “Aileen” Lace-up Platform Ankle Boots

The ‘it’ color of this fall is oxblood, a rich hue that’s a cross between maroon and burgundy. This color will not only help you transition into a new winter wardrobe, but it also instantly adds a level of sophistication and luxury to your look that probably wasn’t so easy to achieve with the bright neon numbers you sported over the summer. Oxblood is a much more wearable color than bright red, but if you’re still not comfortable making this a dominant color in your outfits, opt for more subtle ways to add the ‘pop’ of this trendy color, like in your new winter satchel or a pair of comfy lace-up booties. 

2. Cut-outs made elegant

From left to right: Nastygal Carmen Lace Dress, Modcloth Who, What, Square Top, Charlotte Russe All Lace Peplum Top, Modcloth Elegant Romance Dress, Jovonna Dress With Felt Cut Out.

This past spring and summer, we’ve seen bold cut-outs dominate the runway, but for the fall season the cuts have become more extreme yet also feminine and elegant. Instead of wearing dresses with large side waist cut-outs or tops with plunging backs, look for items with more artistic and intricate cut details, such as those in geometric, floral and even eyelet shapes made all over a dress or top. The key is to have the cuts put an edge to an otherwise romantic design. For the first time, cut-outs are made stylish not only for the grungy or racy pieces, but also for the chic and feminine ones that are simply perfect for autumn. 

3. A Hint of Leather

From left to right: Urban Outfitters Coincidence & Chance Faux Leather Trim Blouse, 213 Industry Jessica Blocked Skirt, Ralph Lauren Faux-Fur-Trimmed Leather Glove, Trouve Faux Leather Panel Leggings, BB Dakota Leather Mini Skirt

Leather has been a staple in the fashion world for many past fall/winter seasons, but the 2012 trend is to never make it so obvious. The new way of wearing leather is to place subtle hints of it sporadically throughout your outfit. If you’re a girly girl who’s always inspired by Dior Couture, Oscar de la Renta and Audrey Hepbern, keep that feminine side but add edge with a chiffon blouse trimmed with a leather collar or cuffs. If you love the Parisian street style and adore the crisp, clean cuts of 3.1 Phillip Lim, look for structured skirts with leather panels. If you prefer minimalistic style and live in thick leggings for the colder months, be unexpected and opt for half-cotton, half-leather leggings that will bring you both style and comfort. No matter your style, leather can work for you.

4. Floral for Fall

From left to right: LC Lauren Conrad Floral Tuxedo Blazer, Charlotte Russe Grey Floral Ultra Skinny Jean, Almoust Famous Foiled Floral Printed Skinny Jean, Almost Famous Floral Skinny Jean in Cobalt Blue, Charlotte Russe Hot Kiss Floral Denim Motorcycle Jacket

Florals are always associated with spring frocks and whimsical summer skirts, but this fall it’s all about floral suits. The trend is to rock the print from head to toe, and sometimes it’s even more chic to have the patterns clash. This trend boldly combines the sharp look of boyfriend suits and the most feminine print one could think of. So man up in some florals, collegiettes. Just because it’s fall doesn’t mean you have to always dress in drab, monochromatic outfits. After all some of the brightest flowers blossom in this season.

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.