Fall Back With Fall Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s the quarter system and so astoundingly it’s already midterm season. Everyone is scrambling to catch up on reading they’ve already fallen behind on and late nights are suddenly a necessity again – and not because you’re out partying. Keep alert and charged with some of this fall’s tastiest drinks around Evanston.

Photo from: www.starbucks.com

Starbucks
Located in the heart of downtown Evanston, this popular study space is currently promoting its pumpkin spice latte. It’s the perfect mix of coffee and a kick of flavor. Don’t like coffee? Well you’re in luck because you don’t have to have it with a latte. “I’ve had several customers ask for pumpkin spice chai. One even asked for it to be mixed with hot chocolate,” said the anonymous barista. This might be something you want to avoid though, if you’re looking for something less sweet and more coffee-like.

Photo from: www.unicorncafe.com

Unicorn Café
Right across the street from Starbucks you can find the local Unicorn Café. Unicorn is also promoting its pumpkin spice latte but it’s different from its counterpart at Starbucks. It’s definitely more coffee-like and has less of the pumpkin spice flavor. But its popularity is comparable. “This is our most popular drink, right now. Everyone wants one. I think it’s the perfect blend of coffee, milk and flavor,” said Brandon, the bartender in charge of creating this “perfect blend.” For those who don’t want coffee, the Unicorn Café also sells hot cider that is apparently just as amazing.

Photo fromhttp://www.yelp.com/biz/kafein-evanston

Kafein
Farther down Chicago Road, Kafein is also promoting its pumpkin spice latte. When it comes to taste, it’s a mix of Starbucks and Unicorn Café. You can definitely taste the coffee but the taste of pumpkin spice is also very present. And why should you make the trip down to Kafein? “We’re an independent café,” said the barista. A passing by customer also added, “You get more coffee and taste for the money! You get nothing at Starbucks for $4!”

Photo from: http://www.jjjava.com/

JJ Java
Located at a convenient location on Foster Street, JJ Java offers something different for the fall. While this place also offers pumpkin spice latte, they also offer the caramel apple pie. It’s a mix of cider, milk, caramel and cinnamon. If you ask nicely, they’ll even top it off with whipped cream. According to Chris, the barista, it’s a great place to be at because of the atmosphere and the extensive menu. He also added that the staff always tries to be nice and make everyone happy. Did I also mention that there’s a Wildcard discount?!

Check out all of these wonderful (and delicious) drinks. Got a favorite fall drink of not included here? Let us know!

First photo from: http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/pumpkin-spice-latte

Kathy Hong

Northwestern