books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

End-of-the-Year Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Even though it feels like summer, the quarter system is here to remind us that we still have a few weeks to go. It’s easy to look past these last few weeks and start planning out your summer, whether it be your beach plans or your internship offers, but it is important to cherish your last few weeks on such a beautiful campus. If you are able to find any time to in between finals to do something around campus, here are some ideas.

1. Paint a rock

You have probably seen and walked on the painted rocks on the Lakefill hundreds of time, but it important to leave your mark. If you are about to graduate, then this an absolute must, but even if you’re just a sentimental freshman, feel free to contribute to this tradition.

2. Paint THE Rock

Northwestern loves rocks. Painting the Rock in the middle of campus is yet another cherished tradition here at Northwestern, but it definitely takes a bit more planning because you have to guard the Rock for 24 hours before. But hey, it’s finally warm out, so take advantage of the fact that you don’t have to camp out in the cold! Get your friends, sorority sisters or club members and paint the Rock before time is up.

3. Go to the beach

Northwestern has an absolutely gorgeous beach and Lakefill, but it is practically unusable for a sizeable portion of the year. Therefore, in the last few weeks of the year, definitely make it a priority to spend at least a day or two outside. Northwestern’s campus is meant for warm weather, so take advantage of it while you can.

4. Go into Chicago

It’s really easy to get sucked into the Evanston bubble, and while it is a great city, it is so important to venture out into Chicago. It may be a hike, but Chicago is truly at our fingertips, and for those of us who do not live close to campus, it is so important to venture out into the city. Whether you want to shop around, eat at trendy restaurants, take a picture at the Bean or just walk around, just hop on the “L” and head downtown!

5. Enjoy your college friends

As much as everyone is excited to get home to their family and other friends, take some time before the end of the school year to appreciate all of the amazing relationships that have blossomed over the past year. People from Northwestern live all over the world, so it is unlikely you will be seeing much of your college friends over summer vacation. Perhaps you and a few close friends should make a bucket list of your own before you all head your separate ways.

Gif Courtesy of Giphy