Eight Valentine’s Day Date Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Valentine’s day is just around the corner, and planning a date has never been harder. Valentine’s day is one of the most stressful times of the year for anyone who is in a relationship. Especially if you are in a new relationship, it can be very difficult to figure out what you should do with your significant other on this special day. Neither of you wants to be upstaged by the other, and it is difficult to plan something that won’t be too much or too little. For those of you who need a little extra help planning the perfect date, or just need a couple ideas to bounce off of, here are eight amazing dates that will keep your SO coming back for more (and won’t break the bank).

1. Go into Chicago

At Northwestern, we often forget how close we are to Chicago. Hop on the L and take your significant other into a city that we’re sure you both are dying to explore. Make it a day-date and walk the streets of Chicago, or head in at night for dinner and dessert. There is so much left to explore, and some of the most delicious restaurants that you could ask for.

2. See an On-Campus Theater Show

If you are tight on your budget and afraid of the chilly Chicago winter, take your date to an on-campus theater show that is close by and cheap. You both can admire the hard work and insane talent of Northwestern students while not having to venture too far away. Also, you will get to see some of the amazing things that our campus has to offer!

3. Grab Take-out and a Movie

Sometimes, especially if you have been together for a long time, the best Valentine’s day date is just hanging out together in sweatpants. Order some take-out and gear up Netflix, because there is no need to go out into the cold Chicago night. This is a great way to spend some time alone together while still celebrating your relationship during Valentine’s day.

4. Cook Dinner

If you are skilled in the culinary arts (or know how to turn on an oven) than cooking your significant other a homemade meal will both impress your SO and make him or her feel incredibly special. If you have your own kitchen, or even the kitchenette in the dorms, cooking a simple meal will show your date how hard you are willing to work to make him or her feel happy and loved.

5. Karaoke

If you are looking for something a little more fun and exciting, taking your date out to a fun karaoke session will really test how strong your relationship is. Singing in front of people is a whole new level to a relationship. Hop up on the stage and perform a fun duet, or just fly solo and impress them with your vocal skills. Either way, this will definitely be a night you will remember.

6. Restaurant Hop

If your date is a foodie, then take him or her out to a night in Evanston to a couple of your SO’s favorite restaurants, or a few new ones that both of you want to try! Go to different restaurants for appetizers, entrees, and dessert. Taste the best that Evanston has to offer, and make the date decision easy when you don’t have to argue over which restaurant you want to go to.

7. Grab Coffee and Go Ice Skating

Nothing says romance like holding onto your date for dear life. Take your date ice skating (especially if you know what you are doing) and have them clutching your arm the rest of the night. Guiding them around the ice will be fun and romantic, and definitely full of plenty of laughs. Even if neither of you know how to ice skate, it will still be a fun time on a small budget.

8. Go to a Comedy Club

If your partner loves to laugh, take a trip into downtown Chicago and visit one of the comedy clubs. Second City and other clubs offer a ton of really funny and entertaining shows that will keep you both laughing for hours. The shows are really cheap and the actors have talent beyond comparison. Once you go to one comedy show, you will be coming back for so many more.